DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Green Energy and Sustenance Living > solar panels on metal roof

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2014, 06:33 AM  
Wuzzat?

Liked 165 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer67 View Post
The problem is that those metal roofs are the more common ones

rainwater would leak through.

They claim they've asked around and don't know anyone who has this.
IMO they don't want to take on an iffy job. They can make plenty of money doing routine jobs.
I think if you found bolts that would work they would find some far-out reason why they won't work. Another option may be to abrade small areas on the shingle surfaces to make it smooth where the bolts pass through.

Two or three times in my life I've found companies like this but there are probably many out there. It might be a rational & logical way to do business but the marketing dept. is not about to tell anyone up front.

I'd prefer companies like this just say "No bid."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2014, 06:04 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 109 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Default yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldognewtrick View Post
Working for a roofing company, we have inquired on several occasions about providing and installing solar roof systems and found there is little if any solar MFG's willing to talk or provide info to a small, local installer. At this point in time, my personal opinion is, a bigger return on GREEN dollars would be weatherization of the house structure. Seal air gaps, adding insulation and higher efficiency heat/cooling systems, provide for a better investment than the introduction of solar panels on a roof.

Just my
This is ALWAYS the first things you do to a home. Solar is fine, but if you do not have your other systems up to their efficiencies, you are just spending $$ on a show piece. Its like having a brand new electric motor installed with new batteries on a rusted out truck. What's the point.

However , if you do have a good efficient home, I would look at installing the panels on the ground area, or on a pole. We have done many this way due to the less expensive fix when you need to replace your roof someday. Those panels come down again. Not to mention its easier to install, less $$ there. And if you get snow, you can clean them off.. but you can't on a roof unless you want to risk your life for a little savings on power.... a little crazy if you want my
But good luck!!

Just My
Made in the

nealtw Likes This 
Old 03-11-2014, 07:08 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 748 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 1306

Or put them on the garage.