DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Green Energy and Sustenance Living > woodstove heating

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2009, 09:10 PM  
scoobydoo

Default woodstove heating

i live in a one level home. my woodstove is at one end of the house and the bedrooms are at the other end. right now i use multiple fans hanging from the ceiling to get the heat down to the bedrooms. i was wondering if there is anyway i can hook my woodstove up to my old heating vents that were used when i had a furnace to bring the heat to the other rooms?

thanks--- jodee

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2009, 11:12 AM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Welcome ScoobyDoo:
Your wood stove would need to be located next to your furnace so you could duct straight into the plenum. Trying to back-feed the ducts would not be very effective.

It is good to have your wood stove on the end of the house that gets the prevailing winter winds. Where I live that would be the North-West corner of the house. If I had a woodstove located in that corner of the house, the prevailing winds would distribute the heat for me. I know you probably can't feel a breeze in the house but the inside air moves gently along with the prevailing winds. You can prove that for yourself with smoke or candle flames.
Glenn

Old 01-27-2009, 04:17 AM  
scoobydoo

thanks glenjanie
unfortunatly, i live in a mobil home so there is no place near the furnace to put the woodstove. as for being drafty my whole house is drafty even with the storm windows up you put a candle near any of the windows or doors it gets blown up.. thanks for your help anyways. i will try to come up with another solution to my problem.

thanks again
scoobydoo

Quick Reply