DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Carpentry and Woodworking > Attaching plywood to fireplace

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 02:50 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 848 Times on 757 Posts
Likes Given: 1465

I would have left the hearth low and tiled to the level of the floor. I know it is to late but others a reading this and may want to think about it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 04:22 PM  
notmrjohn
Obnoxious Knowitalll

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

"I know it is to late ..." D7 is too fast for us. I dunno why we bother answering.

"others... may want to think about it." Oh, great, more stuff to think about, every time I think of something new, something old falls out of my brain down into my body. When I take a history test, I have to ask my pancreas who St Pancras was.

[CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Measure twice, cut once.[/FONT][/CENTER]
[CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Look at the nail, not the hammer. Watch the fence, not the blade.[/FONT][/CENTER]
[CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS]If you hook your thumb over your belt you won't hit it with the hammer or leave it layin on the saw table.[/FONT][/CENTER]

Old 10-31-2012, 12:01 PM  
D725A

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks, yes sometimes when a question arises once the job has started I have to make a decision really quickly since the contractor's clock is ticking. I generally throw a few questions out to a few sites--this being one of the best--and usually answers come in quickly but sometimes I have move quicker than that, but the advice here is quite good, and I've learned to anticipate --to some extent--the approach that you pros take. That's interesting about the big box stores hiring people with more human relations skills than knowledge. They should train the knowledgeable ones. We're tiling today, so I'll send some photos later.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:43 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 848 Times on 757 Posts
Likes Given: 1465

Anything you do, you will find there are a few right ways, a few wrong ways to do it, and a whole bunch of ways in between. What is really important is that in the end, you like it and it works and lasts.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:35 AM  
thomask

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Put five carpenters in one room and you have five different opinions on how to do something.

IMO Funny thing is they all might just work.

No instant replays allowed! LOL

Old 12-17-2012, 11:59 AM  
D725A

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Update. we're all done except for some sanding, caulking and priming/painting. We're happy with the results. It's always good to have a few sets of eyes on projects as its ongoing so that you don't rush through proofing if everything is level and plumb. We had to do a few corrections on the vertical pilasters--always a challenge when the house is old and the fireplace itself is not fully level. We're glad we designed this ourselves and did not have to pay a fortune for materials or large fabricated mantels. We kept the old wood mantel on top. I'll send one more photo out when the painting's done. We also have to seal the grout/tile. We're not sure if we should fully sponge it first--it was cleaned once the day after grouting-- then seal or vice versa. We were advised to seal first, but that would seem to lock in any film or dust.

dscn8005edsm.jpg  
Old 12-17-2012, 12:08 PM  
thomask

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Nice work there and I know you saved a bundle. It will mean more to you this way, too.

Wife: "You can buy anything you want when you redo this house."

Husband: "Could I get that in writing, dear?"

Quick Reply