DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Carpentry and Woodworking > Barnwood table support

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2009, 12:31 PM  
cibula11

I looked at some flat steel stock, but I need it cut to length and then I need a couple of holes drilled in it. I have a metal blade for my miter saw, but will that work and what kind of drill bits do I need. I think it was 1/8 thick. If this won't work I will have to resort to some square steel stock, but I'll have to recess that into the top, which I don't want to do.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100337956

(My problem is that I don't know how to attach the circular mounting plate from the legs to a square piece of stock and make it sturdy.)

OR does the piece I used to support have to be supported by the legs, could I just connect it using some braces so it would "Float" between the two legs?

Last edited by cibula11; 04-10-2009 at 01:23 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2009, 03:27 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 109 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Default Ok

You will be able to use the metal cutting blade, just do it outside because it will throw lots of sparks. Regular metal drill bits will be fine for drilling 1/8 inch angle.That and a drop or two of oil.
Then you will need to add some ingenuity to your job. Without seeing it, I would say some through bolts will hold anything to your round legs. You may need to attach to the wood first to hold parts in place.
The pipes for the clamps sometimes are sold at the box stores. If not you can get what you need at a plumbing supply store. They cut and thread...ussually.
You sound like you have it figured out, send some pics out when you finish, or need more help.
Sounds like fun, good luck.

Just My
Made in the

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply