DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Carpentry and Woodworking > Building custom-fit cabinets - any tips?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2011, 07:20 AM  
Snav

Default Building custom-fit cabinets - any tips?

This was not in the plans but in order to fix the failing floor in the kitchen I had to remove the lower cabinets. And they're original to the home so, naturally, though I tried to be careful - they didn't come out smoothly. And I wasn't intending on doing all new cabinets in there at all so there's not a lot of wiggle room in the budget which leaves me no choice but to replace some or all of the cabinet's original wood.

Never built or set cabinets before - but I've done furniture like tables, desks and so on. My husband doesn't think it'll be too complicated for me to figure out.

What are your thoughts? Anything to do or not do to make this easier?

I'm a giiirl - The local hardware store is my shopping mall ;)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2011, 01:56 AM  
Johnboy555

Not sure what you mean by "...leaves me no choice but to replace some or all of the cabinet's original wood." Here is a site that is a perfect fit for cabinet fronts. Kreg Tool Company | Kreg Jigs, Deck Jig, Precision Routing Systems, Klamp Components, and more I have used my Kreg Jig to build a number of kitchen cabinets. It took me a bit to warm up to this, but once I found out how easy it was to build this stuff it was a snap. And truly, it does make a strong joint. There is a lot of information at this site. Look it over and see what you think.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:39 PM  
Snav

Thanks for the reply.

Well - since we're so tight on money this go around - and the cabinets are already removed - I have to try to reuse the old cabinet's wood to make the new cabinets. Since I'm making more cabinets than what was previously in the kitchen I have to buy some woodstock.

What woodstock I need to buy and how much depends on the final design and size of the cabinets - I finally came up with a layout that I like so I have dimensions and a list. So over the last month I've worked on prepping the kitchen. We repaired the rotted floor, laid a new subfloor, installed new windows and casings, etc - and this week I'll mud the walls. So I still have a bit of time before I'll work on the cabinets.

I think that jig is a good idea - kind of wish I had it already for the casings I just made.

I'm a giiirl - The local hardware store is my shopping mall ;)

Quick Reply