DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (
-   Carpentry and Woodworking (
-   -   can anyone tell me what this kind of molding is called? and possibly where to find it (

PatDoody 03-15-2011 08:33 PM

can anyone tell me what this kind of molding is called? and possibly where to find it
1 Attachment(s)
I purchased a 50's home that needs some repairs and finishing it has this baseboard running around the entire house, and I would like to replace/repair what is there to keep the charm it has. Its mostly a 1x6 board with a cap piece on it I am attaching a photo of the profile of it. I cant seem to find it in the box stores, and Ive looked on a few mill work websites with no luck..

nealtw 03-15-2011 09:20 PM

Homestead Hardwoods - Molding Profiles - Panel Molds Proflies
Have a look at this site.

CharlieO 03-16-2011 09:10 AM

It is a simlpe 1x with a cap moulding, finding may not be so easy,
There are mills that will make any profile you want but, they usually require a min. of 1000 lf or so, and it is not cheap.
When I was in NJ I used Dykes lumber for my specialty mouldings but not sure if they will have that one.
Charlie O

PatDoody 03-17-2011 01:04 AM

Thanks Charlie I will look them up!

joecaption 03-17-2011 01:00 PM

It's called base cap moulding. What you have there is a really old style and most likly was made by a local mill only. Every old mill had there own knives custom made.
If your lucky they may still be in business. 50 years ago no one when more then a few miles to get supplys so start looking for some lumber supplys in your area that have been around awhile.

PatDoody 03-27-2011 09:11 PM

I think I found what I need here:
Wholesale Millwork

And a local lumber yard supplies it, first bit of luck I've had with this project so far lol. thanks for the replies everyone.

mabloodhound 04-13-2011 10:31 AM

WM 531 looks like a good match. Nice find.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:37 PM.