DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Carpentry and Woodworking > Custom Cabinet business taking questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2006, 09:04 PM  
milehigh_woodcrafter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo60
hello,

i have a question about my kitchen cabinets. i just recently bought the house i live in now. it was remodeled just before i bought it and the kitchen cabinets are brand new, and made of very nice oak with pine shelving. they looked like they were stained with a light teak colored stain, look very nice. i want to keep them looking nice, especially due to the runoff u get on the cabinets direrectly below the sinks. would it be a good idea to coat them with polyurathane? this should protect the stain from fading, and the wood, right??? thank u in advance for any suggestions

bob
where to begin bob60?

I don't know why your oak cabs would have pine shelves to begin with??? To answer your q,,, no. I wouldn't "coat" your existing cabs with anything, unless you know what the original finish is. Don't worry about "run-off" unless you have a plumbing issue, fix the plumbing issue. If you inadvertantly get the doors wet, wipe 'em dry. The biggest problem wood finish faces is sunlight. Unless they were finished with a sealer and topcoat that is uv protected, the finish will fade or yellow. I wouldn't worry about water, unless they're wet and you know what to do then.

If you wanna hang with me bring a rope.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2007, 03:25 PM  
x37green

Default Some advice on my cabinet finish

We just had a new house built and new Dynasty/Omega cabinets made of quartersawn oak installed in the kitchen. The finish on the cabinets is a matte finish, and doesn't have to my knowledge any urethane or lacquer. The builder decided to clean the cabinets before we moved in and used (he says) Liquid Gold. Now the cabinets have a chalky look and streaks are also visible. They have tried to take off the coating with mineral spirits, but the best look they have achieved so far is a dull look with minimum streaking. We are holding off treating all of the cabinets until they get a few doors to look good. We had a drawer front replaced for other reasons and the difference is noticeable always, stark in the right light. Someone was just over and told us the finish is ruined. I am looking for advice. I am sure our builder is too.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:48 PM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Copied directly from the website;
We achieve the richness of a fine furniture finish by sanding and staining each piece by hand. Oven-cured to catalyze the top coat, our finishes enhance the wood grain and protect the surface. Omega Armor finishes wipe clean with a damp cloth and require no special care.

Usually this means they don't want you using harsh cleaners.

Very possible the finish could be ruined. A high quality wood polish/wax (not Glade, maybe Briwax, Formby's, Deft or similar brand paste wax) would be my next step unless the cabinets are a glazed finish.

Glazed finishes are unique and must be cared for as the manufacturer recommends. It doesn't take much rubbing to ruin a glazed finish with the wrong product.

Call the manufacturer now and get specific information on what to use.

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Old 01-09-2008, 12:49 AM  
don2779

Default Water Damage

I have a question about water damage below my kitchen sink. The leak has been repaired and I am ready to fix the warped wood below my sinks. What is the best way to do this. If you need more info, I can provide it.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:20 AM  
ToolGuy

I could probably offer some suggestions but I have to know what you're dealing with. Can you possibly post a photo?

Also, you should start a new topic with this question, rather than branching off this old thread. You'll get more replies.

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B]~ ToolGuy ~[/B][/COLOR]

[I]Save money on tools at [URL="http://mytoolbox.net"]MyToolbox.net[/URL]
[/I]

Last edited by ToolGuy; 01-09-2008 at 01:25 AM.

Quick Reply