DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Carpentry and Woodworking > Door Trim Meets Base Board Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 10:43 AM  
macatc123

Default Door Trim Meets Base Board Problem

Hi everyone, I have a problem with the way my tile guys installed the baseboard in my bathroom. The problem is that I planned on continuing the baseboard (5" height) around the door, but they only left room for 2 inch trim. They installed the tile after the baseboards so the grout goes right up to it. Other, than trying to carve the baseboard out of the tile, and replacing it with the correct length, can you guys see and way around this? Thanks for you help!!!

First picture is me holding the door trim to show you how I would like it, obviously without that gap.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 05:41 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 860 Times on 768 Posts
Likes Given: 1486

Ye planning would have helped here, you will have to cut the base molding back. Have you seen advertizements on the new saw that just vibrates so you can cut staight in.
Some one will help out with a name for it. Perhaps you can rent one.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:12 PM  
havasu
on permanent vacation
HRT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 109 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 32

What you are holding is not normally used for door trim.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:24 PM  
joecaption

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Total hack job. The casing should have gone all the way to the floor then the base bord come up to the casing. If the base is wider then the casing just the tip of if it gets cut back at a 45% angle.
Baseboard never ever runs all the way to the jams.
The casing is now trash and replaced with new that runs to the floor and the base needs to be removed and recut.
This was a trim 101 job.
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=4&oq=how+to+install+casing&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADFA_en___US413&q=how+to+install+casing+door#q=how+to+install+casing+door&hl=en&rlz=1T4ADFA_en___US413&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbs=vid:1&tbo=u&ei=qsNMTfbMNMjZgQed7YXgDw&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&ct=title&resnum=2&ved=0CCcQqwQwAQ&fp=3b15e1a9e1579b3b

Last edited by joecaption; 02-04-2011 at 08:29 PM.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:21 AM  
macatc123

Sorry, but how is the casing trash? I agree that it should go all the way to the floor. But the only problem with it is cosmetic.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:14 AM  
macatc123

Thanks guys for the advice on the tool. I ordered one and it looks pretty useful. On the other hand, I feel like I'm getting more criticism than help on this issue and it's pretty disappointing.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:25 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 124 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 304

Default well

Just to save you some $$ and have it still look ok, you could install a plinth block at the bottom.

baseboard-plinth-block.jpg  

Just My
Made in the

Old 02-05-2011, 10:10 AM  
havasu
on permanent vacation
HRT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 109 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Ok, lets all get on track here. What one person here was referring to was an Ocillating Multi-function power tool, which can be used to make a straight plunge cut into the existing baseboard to cut it back to accept the wider door casing. I use a Dremel Tool as a cutter and it works just fine. You could also remove the last piece of baseboard, and cut it to the appropriate length using a saw, then reinstall it.

It seems to me that when your flooring was installed, they ran the baseboard to the same length to accept the same width of door casing as was there previously. If you still plan on using the wider baseboard as a door casing, more power to you. You will just need to cut back the existing baseboard a few inches so it joins up properly.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:25 AM  
LHall

The casing would only be trash if the top miter had already been cut with the bottom cut as you were temporarily holding it. Obviously this is not the case, so you're good.

Last post is right - cut the baseboard back to allow the casing or remove it, install the casing to the floor and then replace the baseboard running it to the casing.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:40 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 124 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 304

Default ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Total hack job. The casing should have gone all the way to the floor then the base bord come up to the casing. If the base is wider then the casing just the tip of if it gets cut back at a 45% angle.
Baseboard never ever runs all the way to the jams.
The casing is now trash and replaced with new that runs to the floor and the base needs to be removed and recut.
This was a trim 101 job.
how to install casing door - Google Search
Joe,
I think you may have misread the post.. and upset the apple cart. The piece of casing that looks to short is actully a piece the person posting is holding up there.Not a piece that was installed.
All that needs to be done, is the baseboard needs to be cut back to accept whatever trim detail they use for a casing.
I did the same thing when I recommended a block...he doesn't need it. I guess the block goes with my head.

Sorry Mac if you felt hassled by us,we take our jobs seriously even when they are not ours. And the tile looks nice! Post some pics of the new job if you can!!

Just My
Made in the

Quick Reply