DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Carpentry and Woodworking > Door Trim Meets Base Board Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 08:03 PM  
havasu
on permanent vacation

Liked 76 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I'll be honest. I myself was also focused on that floor, and even showed it to my wife. We both really like it!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2011, 11:25 PM  
macatc123

Thanks Havasu/LHall/Inspector! I appreciate the help. I think I'll try the plinth block. They seem pretty cheap. I am a brand new home owner and I totally understand that I will be making mistakes, all I need is advice on the matter and I felt I was getting more of a lynching! Ha anyway, I appreciate the help and complements. You have renewed my faith in this site!

-Mac

Old 02-06-2011, 06:04 AM  
joecaption

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

He's right I did think someone had left you with it looking like that. (I've seen it before)
The trouble your going to run into with trying to use base for a casing is casing is thicker then baseboard. The reason for that is so when the two piece come together there's no need to try and have the two pieces laying flush with each other. By being thicker they just have to butt up tight.
If you were using real wood base they could be sanded flush or bisket joints could be added to hold them flush, with MDF base like your using it can not be sanded, so the right angle corners may not line up on the face.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:06 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 96 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 189

Default oh yeah

And one more thing.
Since the baseboard is set into the tile. I would prime that cut you make before you install the baseboard or the block.
Because the next time you wash the floor ,it may absorb some water if you don't.
Have fun with your new multimaster tool.

Just My
Made in the

Old 02-07-2011, 08:29 PM  
designer-fixit

you may have to tear out the base and replace it with a longer peice, seems like an easy fix just a hassle to tear it out once its in. on the other hand you could just go to the base supplier and ask for a sample piece ....cut it down to size and there you go, you have a filler

good luck

Old 02-09-2011, 07:10 PM  
BrianKiernan

Very simple fix with the right tool. An oscillating tool like suggested is the way to go (i.e. fein tool or dremel multi-max)

Just hold the casing in place mark a line with a pencil cut back the base and then install your casing and wala done.

Good Luck,
Brian
[URL="http://www.install-crown-molding.com"][COLOR="Blue"]http://www.install-crown-molding.com[/COLOR][/URL]

Quick Reply