Good morning, everyone!
A few days ago, my husband and I were pulling moulding off the wall to cut and adjust to some newer moulding we were installing around the inside of our back door.
When we removed the piece on the right side of the door (a "7 piece), we discovered a black substance on the drywall that covered the space left to right, but only went as high as the moulding covered (2").
I immediately went out and bought a mold test, which ended up with a negative result, thank goodness...but my husband now just wants to "scrub it off" and sand and paint over that spot. I stated that we should probably cut it out and replace it with clean drywall just to be safe. Suggestions?
Additionally, right NEXT to this "mold or mildew" area, is our fireplace, with a huge custom oak surround mantel. It was in the house when we bought it, but it appears that the suspicious area extends behind the mantelpiece. Can anyone tell me HOW I can disassemble the mantel without ruining it? There is crown mouling around the bottom of the top shelf, and I have a feeling there may be some "L" brackets hidden behind it, but I don't want to go ripping into it without some sort of idea of what I'm doing.
Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions!