DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Carpentry and Woodworking > leveling uneven laminate countertop

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2011, 03:33 PM  
Redeye001

Default leveling uneven laminate countertop

my plan is to use rustolem countertop transformation kit on my old kitchen laminate countertops. Problem: lifting seams in a couple of spots but not that bad. can I use a leveling compound over the uneven seams to achieve an even surface then apply the adhesive and stones. if so what kind of leveling compound will be the best that is sandable. thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2011, 08:52 PM  
joecaption

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Any painted on coating is never going to last for very long, and if the laminite is coming unstuck to what evers under it then it's trash and anything painted over that area is just going to crack.
New tops are not that expencive and can be done DIY with just a few simple tools.
Home Depot sells some now that look just like granite and are dressed up with a Roman Ogee edge not the old style rolled edge.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:19 AM  
Redeye001

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Any painted on coating is never going to last for very long, and if the laminite is coming unstuck to what evers under it then it's trash and anything painted over that area is just going to crack.
New tops are not that expencive and can be done DIY with just a few simple tools.
Home Depot sells some now that look just like granite and are dressed up with a Roman Ogee edge not the old style rolled edge.
thanks for your reply but that doesn't answer my question.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:52 PM  
Redeye001

I have solved the problem. I can use some of the adhesive compound that comes in the kit. the kit covers 50 square feet and I have 35 to cover. it dries rock hard and can be sanded.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:53 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 796 Times on 710 Posts
Likes Given: 1358

Let us Know how it works out, some of us will have a negitive attitude, the only time I have heard of this was a guy flipping a house.

Quick Reply