Originally Posted by Cork-Guy
the "gory" details!
I installed a new chain on it the other day. Followed all the instructions (http://makita.com/en-us/Assets/Images/Products/UC4030A/owners_manuals/UC3530A,UC4030A%20manual.pdf
), or at least I think I did. The very 1st time I used it with the new chain, the chain came off of the blade after about a minute of cutting.
I took off the cover and tried to reinstall the chain. To do that I turned the chain tensioning screw (pg 9 of the manual) to adjust the tensioning pin. At some point I discovered that:
1. The pin is stuck in one corner and does not move.
2. The plastic cover next to the pin is broken (see photo)
3. The two bevel gears that are supposed to rotate when I rotate the tensioning screw are stuck and do not turn.
1. How did the plastic cover break?
2. How do I get the gears to turn?
3. Other than the broken cover, what else might be wrong there and would need to be repaired or replaced?