DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Carpentry and Woodworking > Paint trim while on wall or off?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-25-2010, 02:54 PM  
swindmill

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm in the process of doing all the baseboard and door/window casing in my home. I paint it off the wall, but that's because I'm replacing it. It might not be practical if it's on the wall, and it would depend on what size the baseboard is (mine is 1x8), but I use a small foam roller on trim and doors. It gives a very smooth, almost manufactured finish.

...Of course, it also depends on the style of baseboard. All of my trim is 1x8 and 1x6 with edges rounded off with a router, so it's very easy to use a 4" roller.

Last edited by swindmill; 04-25-2010 at 03:04 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2010, 07:52 AM  
Jophus14

Different change of plans. I ended up purchasing 3/4" oak flooring yesterday so I will have to take all of the trim off regardless. I started pulling off some of the trim last night to see how easy it would come off. The builder used 2" brad nails to nail the trim which seems a bit much. I originally thought that the trim was MDF but as it turns out, it's poplar with a grain imprinted on the face. I still appreciate all of the help I received on this thread. Also, I went to Sherwin Williams and those guys helped me out with paint for both my ceiling and the trim and it was cheaper than Ace Hardware and Lowe's.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:21 AM  
Lightingguru

Personally I think it is better to paint the trim while it is on the wall that way you can sand joint and do prep work to make the material look better. It is a good Idea to paint it with a sandable primer first.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:45 PM  
Jophus14

Here is another question regarding baseboard. I have to install shoe against my baseboard but the angles are not 45 degree cuts. Should I use a T-bevel to find the angles or is there an easier way? I planned on laying some painters tape on the floor along the baseboard, overlapping the edges where the baseboard on seperate walls meet and then drawing a line from the corner to the intersection of the tape and that should be my angle. I will then trace that angle onto the shoe and make my cut. Please see attached images.....horrible images I should say. Thanks.

wall03.jpg   wall02.jpg  

Old 06-03-2010, 02:16 PM  
handyguys

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to handyguys

There are angle finders made just for this purpose. Inside corners should be coped. Let us know if you need instructions on coping.

The Handyguys Podcast [url]http://www.handyguyspodcast.com[/url]

Old 06-03-2010, 08:26 PM  
Jophus14

I tried my method and failed. The angles were bowed and not necessarily straight even though the cuts were. I guess that is because the shoe is round on the edge. I would like to know more about coping. Thanks.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:21 AM  
Jophus14

HandyGuys: I am looking at how to cope base shoe on the internet and it seems pretty self explanatory. I'm not quite sure how to differentiate between angles but I'll try to accomplish this task tonight. If you can give any advice I would appreciate it.

Quick Reply