DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Carpentry and Woodworking > Staircase for loft bed out of 1x12?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-15-2009, 07:23 PM  
krm944

Default Staircase for loft bed out of 1x12?

Hi,

I am trying to save space in the office/spare bedroom by using a loft bed with a desk beneath it.

I have found some plans for a loft bed, and also found one already built on Craigslist very reasonably priced. I would like to modify the end of the bed and use 1x pine for stair case stringers, and make each step into a useful drawer. There are pictures of this exact thing on the net, but no mention of what weight this staircase/drawer would support.

Any thoughts on the strength or sturdiness in this design? Tips? Lumber choice?

Would 3/4'' Plywood be a better choice?

Thanks

Kyle

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2009, 10:35 AM  
JALEXED2

I have made a loft bed using 2x4's and 2x6's. I used 2x6's for the stairs and it was very sturdy. I'm guessing a 1x12 would be fine for the stairs. I would not recommend the use of plywood for stairs. I think it would be wobbly and also will splinter through normal use. I built my loft bed for about $100 including all the lumber, screws, supports, etc... I could have shaved a few bucks off but I wanted it to be extremely sturdy. I also made it so it could be disassembled easily and moved from one room to another. My son was in a fraternity so it had to move from one room to another each semester.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:26 PM  
krm944

We found one on Craigslist for $175.00 with a mattress and a desk.....So far the best deal.

I have looked at a few of them in person and think...wait KNOW I can build one if I dont find exactly what I am looking for.

I have attached a pic of what we would like. Queen or Full bed on top, stairs (drawers for storage) and a desk beneath it.

Kyle

loft-w-stairs.jpg  

Old 09-04-2009, 08:39 PM  
maxwell1200

Default perfect!

That is excatly what I am looking for. I have been searching the internet for days trying to find the perfect bed and there it is. Of course I have no clue where to find it. If you have or find plans to build it please let me know. I can't find the first plan to build anything that doesn't look like it belongs in a dorm room.

THanks

Old 04-02-2010, 08:11 PM  
andidavis

Default Plans

Can you anyone share the building plans for a full loft bed with staircase? I am a beginner builder and would love to build this for my daughter. I do better with instructions than building by memory.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:30 AM  
nealtw

Liked 677 Times on 606 Posts
Likes Given: 1200

bykerboy68@yahoo.com
found this person on another site. He may have the plans you need. He posted it last year

Old 11-30-2010, 02:02 PM  
DrHicks
Big Hog

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krm944 View Post
Any thoughts on the strength or sturdiness in this design? Tips? Lumber choice?

Would 3/4'' Plywood be a better choice?

Thanks

Kyle
1x lumber doesn't offer much horizontal strength - especially a lot of it that's available now. For what it's worth, if it was my project, I'd feel more comfortable ripping 3/4" plywood & veneering the ends.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:15 PM  
mabloodhound
Restoration & Renovations

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

You will get more strength from 3/4" plywood than conventional 3/4" boards. You can laminate it to also double the strength but this probably wont be required. If you can, add X cross bracing on the underside to keep any sway out of it.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:54 PM  
shecandoit22
Banned

If you built it with the drawers pulling out of the end of the bed instead of the face of the stairs you would be able to use the 1x pine that you were wanting to. It would give you more options for the width of the drawers also.

Quick Reply