DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Carpentry and Woodworking > widenining doors in load-bearing wall

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-22-2007, 04:49 AM  
terrysim

Default widenining doors in load-bearing wall

I am installing 36" doors in 2 walls to make a bathroom wheelchair accessible for my brother (replacing smaller doors). One is on a load-bearing wall. I am planning on putting in new headers that go all the way to the next set of studs (48" width), then double studding at the R.O. size.

My question is: Do I need to install temporary bracing, maybe 2x4's coming out diagonally into the room on both sides of the wall, while I cut out the old header and put in the new? This would prevent the wall from sagging, or is this unneeded? The room is on the ground floor of a 2 story.

Thanks,
Terry

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2007, 08:56 AM  
Daryl in Nanoose

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I always put a support beam in anytime I am doing this. I make sure that the beam in directly under a joist or truss on each side of the opening I am going to make. You should go up in the attic and see what this wall is supporting and that will usually tell you what to do.

ceiling-support.jpg  

[url]http://edhome.shawwebspace.ca/[/url]

Old 09-23-2007, 02:53 PM  
Daryl in Nanoose

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHI Decks & Windows View Post
Make sure that your ceiling joist do not have strapping on them before you use Daryl's bracing system. The first time I forgot to check for strapping I blew through the sheetrock installing a brace.
Oh I bet you were a happy guy that day

[url]http://edhome.shawwebspace.ca/[/url]

Quick Reply