DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > HVAC > AC problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2006, 04:36 PM  
Dee

My coil was replaced before the warrenty expired. It was replaced. Then it broke again. what happens is that I turn the unit to 78 or 80 and the unit does not blow out cold air. I was told by a repairman that the unit has had coil problems and most of my neighbors have. The unit is now 8 years old and last year it was repaired twice this year once and it is now broken (no cold air) Any suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2006, 09:55 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Hi Dee:
Open the coil cabinet and see if the coil is cool, then go outside and put your hands on the 2 copper lines attached to the condenser unit, the large line should be cool (maybe sweating) and the small one should be rather warm. Another quick test is, hold your hand over the condenser fan and see if it is putting out warm air. If these conditions don't exist it is possible you are out of refrigerant. The outdoor condenser coil should be cleaned every year; if it hasn't that would be one thing you can do without spending a lot. Caution, service men love to sell refrigerant, "it just needed a little gas" they say. The refrigerant is in liquid form, picks up heat when it evaporates (in the coil), the hot gas goes to the compressor where it is pressurized and the condenser makes it turn to liquid again. Clean first, gas last. (service men hate that)
I can't believe you need another coil this quick; its nothing for them to last 20years or more.
Glenn

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply