DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > HVAC > IS AC working.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2007, 09:50 PM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

If your heating element (auxillary heat) was on, then yes turning that breaker off should make a major difference.
As far as I know it does take a thermostat with auxillary heat options to control a heat pump with auxillary heat.
Thermostats are not always simple to replace. You may need to call the service guys back to install it.

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2007, 06:55 PM  
shan2themax

Send a message via AIM to shan2themax Send a message via Yahoo to shan2themax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square Eye View Post
If your heating element (auxillary heat) was on, then yes turning that breaker off should make a major difference.
As far as I know it does take a thermostat with auxillary heat options to control a heat pump with auxillary heat.
Thermostats are not always simple to replace. You may need to call the service guys back to install it.
I have replaced a thermostat before, for a regular central heat and air unit... and I know that I have to label everything.... I have just read some posts where people have changed from a mercury thermostat to the honeywell I bought and it worked for a week and then quit..... I just dont want to mess something up..... so... if all the wires are present that are needed, I will go ahead and do it myself......... I am glad that my thinking was correct..... would it be running just becuase the breaker was on (and the correct thermostat wasnt being used?)

Old 07-10-2007, 12:38 PM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

They may have wired it to come on with the fan. That way in the summer, when the A/C was being used, all they had to do was turn the breaker off exactly as you have done.
There ought to be a law that when people do things out of the ordinary, they have to document it and leave the log with the property

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Old 09-10-2007, 10:11 AM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Hello Shan:

Have you resolved your A/C problem now? I have been off the Forum for an extended period and lost track. If you still need help, please post back and let us know where you stand now.

Glenn

Old 09-14-2007, 05:48 PM  
shan2themax

Glenn:
The AC is working fine... so is the new thermostat... I still have the AUX breaker switched off, although it is correctly wired now and I could turn it on..... thanks for checking back in.... I havent been on myself as I fell at work last month and that has brought a screeching halt to anything that I was doing.....

Old 09-16-2007, 11:45 AM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

OOPS! Sorry about the fall. Your signature bothers me, what kind of nurse are you? I do like the attitude of giving it a try though.
Glenn

Old 09-23-2007, 12:22 AM  
shan2themax

I am a cardiac nurse. (and sometimes my doitmyselfness bothers me also) I do enjoy figuring out how to do things, while I am a nurse, I have three kids and a mom that I take care of so the money is tight, so I like to do things myself as much as possible, and I am a pretty good student.... most of the time, show me once, and I can repeat what you did....... I do try to do alot of research if I can on what I am doing, and I have recently bought some books. I have a new problem with the hvac now.... my ductwork is coming apart under the house..... ac runs, no air comes out of vents, crawl space is an icecube.... so, I am now thinking of running flexible lines under the house, but I will have to do research....... any suggestions?

Quick Reply