DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > HVAC > do i have an hvac problem??

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2009, 04:15 PM  
amf17

Default do i have an hvac problem??

i recently moved into a house(built 2005) with a finished basement(finished 2007). I am currently renovating one of the rooms in the basement and I have dropped the drywall ceiling to have a look at the furnace ducting.

i have a couple of questions about how the install for the basement was done.

I have tons of air flow coming out of the wall vents in the basement and a decent amount in the main level vents, but the upstairs vents are severly lacking in air flow. Is this be because the house originally only had heating ducts for the main and upper floor and now that there are ducts in the basement, the pressure has dropped???

how would i go about fixing this??? or is there even a problem to be fixed??? i am just wondering because i'd like to make any changes i need to now because i have the ceiling down.

thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2009, 06:21 PM  
Cork-Guy
Cork Flooring Pros

Some in-line duct fans will help boost the air to the upper floors; a quick google search will yield some results.

[B][URL="http://www.corkflooringpros.com"]Cork Flooring[/URL][/B] - [B][URL="http://www.ventless-fireplace.org"]Ventless Fireplace[/URL][/B]

Old 10-12-2009, 05:49 AM  
daddymikey1975

are there dampers on the individual lines coming off the furnace that feed the rooms ?? if so, you should be able to close some of the basement level dampers say, 50% and the main floor ones about 30% to get more airflow upstairs.. if there are no dampers inline, you could install some. then you can more accurately control the amount of airflow throughout your house.

or the inline duct fans, but i prefer more control personally
i hope this helps
mike

Quick Reply