DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > HVAC > Front hall register

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-25-2011, 05:43 PM  
larryslade

Default Front hall register

I own a 110 year old house. An oil furnace was put in many years ago. It's a two and a half story house. The oil furnace heats the first two floors. The only thermostat is right inside the first floor door on the right. There are only a few cold registers on the two floors. The outside door opens to a hall with a stairway going to the second floor. There is a cold register in this hall, which gets no heat at all. Should the only thermostat have been put right next to the first floor door? and is having the main cold register in a space that is always cold in the winter a bad idea? I'm assuming when they were replacing the coal furnace they configured the duct system as best they could. Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2011, 08:18 PM  
paul52446m

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryslade View Post
I own a 110 year old house. An oil furnace was put in many years ago. It's a two and a half story house. The oil furnace heats the first two floors. The only thermostat is right inside the first floor door on the right. There are only a few cold registers on the two floors. The outside door opens to a hall with a stairway going to the second floor. There is a cold register in this hall, which gets no heat at all. Should the only thermostat have been put right next to the first floor door? and is having the main cold register in a space that is always cold in the winter a bad idea? I'm assuming when they were replacing the coal furnace they configured the duct system as best they could. Thanks
A stat should be on a inside wall and not close to a hot air reg. or TV, or lamp that can effect the stat.
In the good old days they put the hot air reg. on the inside walls and the cold air returns on the out side walls in the floor. They said the cold returns would pull the hot air across the floor, but we all know, this does not work. Hot air comes out and up, not across. In a new system you put the hot airs in the floor around the outside walls and the return should be 80% hi 20% low in the inside walls. Paul

Old 11-25-2011, 09:50 PM  
joecaption

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If it's truly a register and not a return air line then someplace it's kinked, blocked off or not connected.
In one church I worked on right after the new HVAC was installed I found 7 registers they never hooked up, Just open holes looking under the building.

Quick Reply