DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > HVAC > Furnace cold air return comes from attic

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 07:43 PM  
nealtw

Liked 677 Times on 606 Posts
Likes Given: 1197

Learn something new eveyday! I wonder way they don't do that here, I will be asking questions of the people work beside on a regular bases. I do understand the cold draft arguement.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2011, 07:55 PM  
paul52446m

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
Learn something new eveyday! I wonder way they don't do that here, I will be asking questions of the people work beside on a regular bases. I do understand the cold draft arguement.
There are still a lot of heating guys that use low cold air returns. When someone starts talking to me about cold air returns, i tell them that there is no
cold air in the house. It is called supply air to the furnace. I have had it proved to me when i was in engineering school 20 years ago. But some outfits
just don't believe this is the right way. Later Paul

Old 08-09-2011, 08:51 PM  
nealtw

Liked 677 Times on 606 Posts
Likes Given: 1197

If I had a hot air furnace, I would be changing right now, nothing ventured nothing gained. I am just surprized I have never heard it before and I do get into a lot of houses both new and old. I can imagine builders not wanting grills high on the walls and ceiling vents would add to cost and I can here the complaints already.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:42 PM  
paul52446m

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
If I had a hot air furnace, I would be changing right now, nothing ventured nothing gained. I am just surprized I have never heard it before and I do get into a lot of houses both new and old. I can imagine builders not wanting grills high on the walls and ceiling vents would add to cost and I can here the complaints already.
When a builder calls me i tell him i will only do the job for the customer. this way i can talk to them and give them what they want. A lot of the time i will be installing a total comfort system. This includes Heat, Air con., humidification, and electric air cleaner. If someone has return air low than they can't a air cleaner, it would just sweep the floor. My customers want total comfort so they don't mind having there returns hi in side walls.
sometimes they have wooden grills made so they look better.
In the 40 some years that i have been in the heating bus. i have not worked
for builders, just customers. I don't put any add out but i stay busy from referrals from my good rep. Paul

Quick Reply