DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > HVAC > Furnace will not start when extreme cold

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 07:15 PM  
rogerknapp

I suspect your venting or cumbustion air go outside and check your venting or intake for obstructions including screens which may frost over or ice building up . if that checks out try temporarily removing your combustion air intake pipe and see if it improves that would tell you if your problem is in that pvc pipe .Or it could also be a weak pressure switch or a leak in the tube to it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2014, 01:08 PM  
Miztreese1

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul52446m View Post
On the out side of the house does your intake and exhaust go up through the roof or out the side wall. If through the roof does the intake have double ells on it. If the intake is side wall does it elbow down? Do you turn your heat down at night? . The reason i am asking these questions is, i am
wondering if you are getting a gravity flow down into the burner chamber.
All gas valves are made to operate at a certain ambient temp, so if your valve gets too cold it will not want to open. Like on out door unit we have to use cold ambient gas valves. Paul
Can you show me a pic. of your out side pipes?
Paul. Can u say life saver!! I have my exhaust pipe on the side of my house. So I bundled up and went outside TO check it because my heat wouldn't work. And low and behold it was blocked with snow. I cleaned it out. Went back in and reset my furnace. And it clicked right in. Thanks so much to your response from an earlier post. U saved me andy girls. We were freezing!!! Bless u

Old 01-06-2014, 04:11 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Wouldn't an exhaust pipe melt snow?

Quick Reply