DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/forum.php)
-   HVAC (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f8/)
-   -   gas fireplace will nto stay lit questions (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f8/gas-fireplace-will-nto-stay-lit-questions-10470/)

handyguys 12-05-2010 12:17 PM

gas fireplace will nto stay lit questions
 
Starting a new thread instead of tacking on to
http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f8/he...ot-light-9750/

my situation is a little different.

I have a Heatalator gas fireplace. I dont know the model number off hand.
It has a standing pilot, no blower, direct vent (horizontal with one 45d el to termination just a few feet away). Its about 6 years old.

The fireplace lights with a low voltage wall switch, no thermostat or remote.

I haven't had any trouble with it until the last few times I used it.
The pilot lights fine and stays lit. When the switch is on the fireplace lights and will burn a while. After a few minutes it goes out (pilot is still lit), if I don't do anything it will re-light the flames and burn a while more but then go off again. I haven't timed these cycles but it will keep cycling on and off for as long as the switch is in the on position.

Google is frustrating me while searching for a solution do to the vast number of "pilot wont stay lit" questions and posts on the net. That's not my problem.

When the fireplace is lit it seems normal.

I suspect a dirty something (thermocouple?) Suggestions as to where to start troubleshooting?

Thanks!
b

oldognewtrick 12-05-2010 12:41 PM

Handyguy, I found on another forum that there is a flame sensor next to the pilot light and this gets dirty. It said to gently clean with steel wool. I tried to link it, but alas, my linking skills are greatly lacking.:o

inspectorD 12-05-2010 01:12 PM

Soo,
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldog/newtrick (Post 51836)
but alas, my linking skills are greatly lacking.:o

Does this bother you? Linking lacker...or lackey..err...um, never mind.

Handyguy, Also try blowin it all out with your airgun, sometimes contacts get stuck, could be a coupler, or somthing else. :o

paul52446m 12-05-2010 04:51 PM

you probably have a power-pile type thermocouple in the pilot assemble. Is there two Wires
coming from the pilot thermocouple? Is so make sure the pilot flame is clean, burning blue
and burning at least 1/2" around the coupler. If its not it will not produce enough power to open the gas valve. Make sure all wire connections are clean and tight. You also might be losing power through a switch that is getting bad. Take the switch out and jump the two wires across and if it keeps going, the switch is bad. If all this chicks out than you might have a week power-pile. When the main burner is on can you see if the pilot flame is being pulled away from the thermocouple? If the switch and pilot are good then you would have to check the millivolt power that the thermocouple is producing to see if you need to replace it or do you have a weak magnet in the gas valve. Later Paul

handyguys 12-05-2010 06:25 PM

Thanks everyone - I was thinking along these lines (dirty, power generator thing, etc). I had the fireplace on today while the fam was decorating for Christmas. I'll let it cool down and dig into it one night this week.

vral 12-06-2010 10:17 PM

I have similar problem too...
 
Hello guys, I have similar problem too. My fireplace also doesn't stay lit. I have Superior fireplace but I don't know what model. I just bought this house and this is our first winter in this house. Pilot comes on fine and stay lit and after turning on the main fireplace, it goes out in less then a minute. This is closes fireplace that has a glass window on the front. So I opened up the glass window and then I turned on the fireplace, it came up and stay on until I turned off. So my question is, what do I need to look to see what is causing the fireplace to go out when the glass windows is on. To me, it seems like either fireplace isn't getting enough oxygen or something. Does anyone know what I should look for next? Thanks.

paul52446m 12-07-2010 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vral (Post 51903)
Hello guys, I have similar problem too. My fireplace also doesn't stay lit. I have Superior fireplace but I don't know what model. I just bought this house and this is our first winter in this house. Pilot comes on fine and stay lit and after turning on the main fireplace, it goes out in less then a minute. This is closes fireplace that has a glass window on the front. So I opened up the glass window and then I turned on the fireplace, it came up and stay on until I turned off. So my question is, what do I need to look to see what is causing the fireplace to go out when the glass windows is on. To me, it seems like either fireplace isn't getting enough oxygen or something. Does anyone know what I should look for next? Thanks.

Have you checked the air intake to make sure it is open. Is there slide air doors under the glass door, if so are they open? Is you damper open a little so the unit can get a up draft started? Paul

vral 12-11-2010 05:10 PM

Paul, funny things is I don't see anything under the glass door to open air intake. In fact that's the first thing I checked after I figured that it's not getting any air from outside. The chamber is closed from the bottom so it has to get the air from outside vents and I don't see any lever or anything that I could try to open those vents (if they are closed). Could there be anything else I need to look for. To add more details about my fireplace, it has two glass-doors on the both sides. It is located between my living room and hearth which is divided by fireplace in the middle. The vent is horizontal. This unit has gas valve this is manufactured by SIT(i think). I have been searching on google to get more information by looking at fireplaces and their specs since I don't have any kind of manual nor has any information about the model # of this unit. Top of this fireplace is completely closed with metal plate so I don't know how it is exhausting through vents. I did find something about spill switch which could have affect on not keeping the fireplace on after turning it on if I understood correctly but I can't seem to find reset switch on this fireplace. Is there a way to find out the model number of this fireplace? It would be easier if I knew the exact model to do more research. Thanks, Vral.

paul52446m 12-11-2010 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vral (Post 52061)
Paul, funny things is I don't see anything under the glass door to open air intake. In fact that's the first thing I checked after I figured that it's not getting any air from outside. The chamber is closed from the bottom so it has to get the air from outside vents and I don't see any lever or anything that I could try to open those vents (if they are closed). Could there be anything else I need to look for. To add more details about my fireplace, it has two glass-doors on the both sides. It is located between my living room and hearth which is divided by fireplace in the middle. The vent is horizontal. This unit has gas valve this is manufactured by SIT(i think). I have been searching on google to get more information by looking at fireplaces and their specs since I don't have any kind of manual nor has any information about the model # of this unit. Top of this fireplace is completely closed with metal plate so I don't know how it is exhausting through vents. I did find something about spill switch which could have affect on not keeping the fireplace on after turning it on if I understood correctly but I can't seem to find reset switch on this fireplace. Is there a way to find out the model number of this fireplace? It would be easier if I knew the exact model to do more research. Thanks, Vral.

It sounds like your vent has a inter and outer to it. Your burned gas goes out a center stack like maybe 4 or 5" and the outer pipe is 6 or 7 " That 1" space between the inter and outer is where the air comes in, Then it goes around the unit into the burner. You might have to take the outside vent apart so you can start checking that space between the two pipes where the air comes in. You might be spider webbed up or some other restriction in there.
You might have to take the stack off the unit so you can check the space on the inside also. mobile homes a wall heater take there air in like this. Later Paul

Carolyn1094 01-23-2012 10:49 PM

Fireplace
 
I am having the same exact problem and wonder if anyone has come up with an answer. It lights and burns for awhile and then goes out and if I don't turn off the switch it comes back on. Thanks all.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:37 PM.