DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > HVAC > Gas furnace problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2006, 01:04 PM  
woodworkingmenace

Send a message via MSN to woodworkingmenace

If its THAT old, it would probably behoove ya to replace it with an entirely more energy efficient one.

Especially with the price of oil, getting what it is now and later on, you have to be chucking good ol American green backs up the chimney at a tremendeous rate...

I would check with your HVAC man, (in fact, get several opinions from around your area) and see what kind of savings it would produce, versus your old monster that refuses to die

Jesse

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2006, 01:09 AM  
asbestos
Good with caulk

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeah it just may have to go, but it is going to be like 5k for a new one and I am not sure how much oil will be saved. but at 3.00+ a gallon it is going to get ugly.

Also WWM does being placed in a tomb count as burial?

Old 05-08-2006, 11:18 AM  
woodworkingmenace

Yes it does.
It was the way they used to bury people back then.

Like Abraham and Sarah, his wife, and many others.

Lazareth was 3 days in the tomb...

It was a standard norm, since there were so many caves back then...

Jesse

Old 05-08-2006, 11:49 AM  
woodworkingmenace

Would it be cheaper for you to look into Propane?

I dont know what the going rate is now, or how cost effective it would be, but 5 grand seems a bit STEEP!

(I am looking to replace my 25+ year old gas furnace and dont expect to pay more than 1500 for it, but, I recognise that Oil is "way" more expensive than a regular gas one would be...still... ya gotta wonder about propane though).

I would check with the people who sells these things, and get a good "heads up" on the cost efficiency ratio compared to oil. BTU - dollars. That is, unless you have regulations about having propane in certain areas, like a City or Municpality... Some dont like those tanks hanging around the neighborhood... (I have a propane storage facility across the highway from me, and consider it a huge bomb! Right across the street from it is our High School and they fought tremendously to keep it out of our neighborhood!!).

Also, I would think about adding all the additional insulation you can add for more fuel savings.

Just some random thoughts for today...

Jesse

Old 06-28-2006, 06:47 PM  
maxq4@yahoo.com

Default I have the same unit, but a different problem, my condeserline has frozen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellerarms
I have an 17 year old model Trane XE60. We had a home inspector come out yesterday and look at the house (furnace included) and since he left our furnace pilot went out (connection/coincidence?), we follow the directions for lighting the pilot, but it won't stay lit. Once we let up on the button it goes out. We're cold! What can we do?
I have the same unit and I am having a problem with it. My condiser line from the ac unit has frozen and I am tring to find out something about the problem. Have you ever had this problem, and if so, how did you rectify it. I would also like to know where the filter goes. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Old 06-28-2006, 06:56 PM  
maxq4@yahoo.com

Default i have a trane xe 60 and i need some help or suggestions.

I have a trane xe 60 and the line from the ac has frozen what should i do. I have already put a humidifier in the basement near the furnace. I cant find where to put the air filter, I have been told to replace it, but I don't know where it would go.
[

QUOTE=woodworkingmenace]Tellerarms, its just a coincidence, (and they always seem to show up when some one inspects something...its murphys law or something like that), but, you will need a new thermocouple and the pilot light will stay lit.

If you have a bad one, then the pilot light will not stay lit, and the thermocouple HAS to be in the flame, when you put the new one in, or it wont work! (You wouldnt believe some of the things I have seen...people not wanting them in there because they want to "save them"...LOL!! Oh well).

It'll run ya about 4 bucks or so, then put it in per instructions and you will have heat..

Just my two cents worth

I have a trane xe 60 and the line from the ac has frozen what should i do. I have already put a humidifier in the basement near the furnace. I cant find where to put the air filter, I have been told to replace it, but I don't know where it would go.

Jesse[/QUOTE]

Old 06-28-2006, 10:02 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie
Default Frozen a/c line and filter placement

Hello All:
The frozen a/c line can best be cured by insulating the line with closed cell foam insulation (Armaflex). The line is cold, its doing a good job; problem is there is warm moist air around it which condenses on the line and turns to frost.
To find a filter I would locate the blower; the filter is usually near the blower, somewhere in the duct that returns air to the blower.
Glenn

Quick Reply