DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > HVAC > Gas Furnace Shutdown

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-24-2007, 03:49 AM  
sweets

The gas hot water heater is 24 years old. I don't want to disturb the system & "add a reliable back flowpreventer, (Check valve)" (as suggested earlier), at this point, for fear it may spring a leak. When I go away for a few days or more, what can I do to prevent a flood should the HW heater leak while I'm away ? Should I close the valve above the HW heater or shut the main water supply & turn the thermostat to the boiler off?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2007, 10:42 AM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Hey Sweets:
I was talking about a check valve on the boiler line only; it just keeps the chemicals out of the clean water supply.
Yes, you can turn off the valve on top of the water heater for flood protection and turn the energy to the water heater off to keep it from burning something up if it does loose its water.
Glenn

Old 04-24-2007, 11:59 AM  
sweets

Thanks Glenn:
As I'm sure you know, you don't want to do anything to these old systems to "rock the boat" so to speak. But I definitely will look into the check valve for the new boiler system.
As for the gas hot water heater, you say, it's ok to turn off the valve atop the HW heater when going away & "turn the energy to the hot water heater off to keep it from burning something up if it does lose water". By this do you mean to turn the gas pilot to "OFF" & cut the gas feed to the hot water heater off when going away for any length of time?

Old 04-24-2007, 01:12 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yes, the gas valve should be turned to the "off" position because a water heater is made of different materials than the boiler, where I would not drain but leave the pilot light on and the thermostat turned to the lowest setting. On the boiler you could even turn the valve to "pilot" position.
Glenn

Old 04-24-2007, 02:44 PM  
sweets

Just to restate, turn the valve above the HW heater off, the gas feed off & turn the pilot to off. On the boiler just turn the gas to pilot & the thermostat to its lowest setting. all this when going away for a few days, is that all??

Old 04-25-2007, 10:39 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yes, that should give you adequate flood protection. The only other thing would be timers on some of the lights and some friendly neighbors to watch the place (make sure they have your cell phone number).
Have fun on the trip and drive defensively.
Glenn

Old 04-26-2007, 04:17 AM  
sweets

Now all i need is to pay your way up to Brick NJ & pay you to do the installation job with me. Would you believe they want over $400 labor to do a simple HW install + another $400 for the gas heater = $850 ??

Old 04-26-2007, 10:23 AM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yes, I believe the price. You know, a plumber did a job for a Doctor, when the plumber presented the bill the Dr said "My God, I don't even make that much", to which the plumber answered, "that is why I'm no longer a Doctor".
All kidding aside though, $400 is a terrible high price for 2 hours work. As far as the price of the water heater; it sounds high also but it may be an extra high efficency water heater with a 10 year warranty. If it is not, you need to get a homeowner's permit and a water heater from Home Depot.
Glenn

Old 04-26-2007, 12:22 PM  
sweets

And they're not even plumbers! They don't install the WAGS in line shut off that prevents floods, it cuts off the water & gas should the HW heater leak. The best quality HW heater at Home Depot had a 12 year warranty for $400 but I don't understand what you mean by "you need to get a homeowners' permit and a water heatewr from Home Depot" Maybe you could explain.

Old 04-26-2007, 02:34 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hey Sweets:
You most likely have a state-wide plumbing code in New Jersey which doesn't allow anyone but a plumber to install a water heater; however, a homeowner can buy a permit to install his or her own. It still has to be installed to code and inspected though.
I am tempted to come up there, provided we could go over and meet Tony and Carmela Soprano.
Glenn

Quick Reply