DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > HVAC > Heating for finished attic

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2007, 08:05 AM  
envoys

here are some pics of the setup off the furnace... I have only labelled the pipes that go to the attic and to the bathroom... have a look.

img_0140.jpg   img_0141.jpg   img_0142.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2007, 09:15 AM  
Quattro
Massive Tool Belt

Someone help me here, but can't you put in a "diverter" at that T-joint to move more air down the attic run? Something like a flue damper...

I think the forced air is taking the path of least resistance and mostly blowing right past that T-junction, and ending up in the bathroom. You need a way to 'steer' some of it down that pipe.

OR- remove the T-junction and replace with a Y, if it'll fit between the joists.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:47 AM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Nice pictures, Envoys:
Yes, a damper can be put in the line just on the bathroom side of the Tee. The damper is a round piece of sheet metal with pivot pens on both sides of it; a handle is attached to one of the pins and a locking nut holds it in the position you choose.
Both the supply and return air pipes need sleeve insulation on them; it would give you about 1/3 more heat in the attic.
Another alternative would be to put a reducer fitting in the bath side of the Tee and run a 4" pipe from there on; that would force more air to the attic.
Glenn

Old 01-23-2007, 01:16 PM  
Hube

Envoys; first off, adding a tee ot a run is an absolute no-no. adding a Y would still be a bad thing but it may streamline the air a tad better. i hope I don't upset the cart but from the pics i see you have a rookie diy installation,.in other words whoever butchered this mess should have shot and p....d on.
In order to get some supply air up into this attic (loft you should have a seperate run, perhaps 6" diam terminating to a 4x10 or4x12 register. Get rid of that tee and keep the bathroom on a single run with a damper in it so you can "throttle the air down somewhat to the bathroom. Cut in a new 6" diam run off the plenum with a damper and run it up into your attic /loft.
A lot will depend on your furnace's rated CFM and btu output ....you may have to increase your rpm slightly and or 'balance all the other existing supply runs in order to throw more air the attic way. And you will absolutely also need some RETURN air from this attic/loft, in order to get some decent supply air up to it.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:18 PM  
envoys

I will investigate getting the damper installed...in the attic, i installed sleeve insulation over all the pipes. It is much warmer up there, but not nearly as warm as it should be, tonight I will take a temperature reading. Right now I have some other issue with my furnace blowing cold air until I shut off the main power to the furnace for 15mins and then back on, then it blows hot air and works just fine for about a week.

Quick Reply