DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > HVAC > heil propane unit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 01:20 PM  
tndave

Got a relay & it didn't help. Still 25 volts (big red wire) coming from "Fan & Limit Control" (pictured below & I replaced it last year, best I remember) until I plug it into relay & then it goes to 0 Volts or very close to it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 07:41 PM  
tndave

To clarify post 5 has 98 volts, post 6 has 28, post 8 has 0, but if I unplug the wire and test the wire it has like 28 & post 3 has 0 volts. I tried post 3 with the wire that goes to the inducer off & it was not getting any current. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Last edited by tndave; 03-10-2011 at 07:51 PM.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:36 PM  
paul52446m

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tndave View Post
To clarify post 5 has 98 volts, post 6 has 28, post 8 has 0, but if I unplug the wire and test the wire it has like 28 & post 3 has 0 volts. I tried post 3 with the wire that goes to the inducer off & it was not getting any current. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
Ok you say that post 5 has 98 volts, If you follow the main 115 volts Hot power through the wiring diagram, it goes through door switch or interlock switch, down to 6 on fan relay, bK over to transformer and then over to your 5 post on system relay This should be 115 to 120 volts all the way. so check and see where you are losing voltage, should not be down to 98 volts.
After you get this right then on a call for heat you should get 24 to 27 volts when testing across from 7 to 8 on system relay. Check all this out first.
Paul

Old 03-10-2011, 08:55 PM  
tndave

It's 98.3 coming out of transformer (black wire). 28 going into transformer (blue wire)

Old 03-10-2011, 09:23 PM  
paul52446m

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok you say that post 5 has 98 volts, If you follow the main 115 volts Hot power through the wiring diagram, it goes through door switch or interlock switch, down to 6 on fan relay, bK over to transformer and then over to your 5 post on system relay This should be 115 to 120 volts all the way. so check and see where you are losing voltage, should not be down to 98 volts.
After you get this right then on a call for heat you should get 24 to 27 volts when testing across from 7 to 8 on system relay. Check all this out first.
This is the same message that i gave you in message 13. You have to check step by step the way a tell you or we are not going to find the problem. I said start with the incoming power Hot line and then follow in through the system like i said. I can't tell you where you are losing power, so read post 13 and go step by step. Paul

Old 03-11-2011, 06:56 PM  
tndave

The voltage drop is due to the ground. If you use the ground that comes out of the fan relay you get 98-99 Volts at post 5. If you use the main common you get 125. I connected a ground straight from main common to common on low volt board & that gave me 125 between post 5 & 7, but that didn’t help. I later took the jumper wire that I added off...

I found if I wiggled the wire from the limit to the relay (the one that was going down to 0 volts under load) that the inducer came on. So I got that connection (at the limit) cleaned and snugged up & the inducer works. Now the inducer comes on, the igniter glows and it flames up…for about 3 or 4 seconds & turns the gas off. It does the same again & shuts down. Cleaned up the flame sensor & now it works fine. I guess the connection at the limit was the original problem & the flame sensor was just an added bonus…

Thanks for your help!!!

Quick Reply