DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > HVAC > Installing new furnace question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2009, 08:53 AM  
flipper

Default Installing new furnace question.

Here is my issue. I have an older but never used furnace I'm putting in my garage. The instructions say I need to put in at least a 16x25 external filter.
I can only cut an opening of 15x19. So do I cut out both sides of the furnace and put (2) 14x20s filters in?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2009, 10:50 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Welcome Flipper:
The filter has a resistance to air flow, depending on which type you use. The size of the filter is larger to allow as much air as the smaller opening would pass.
It is possible to put a small section of duct on the side of the furnace with the 15 X 19 hole cut in one side and the 16 X 25 cut out of the other side for the filter. The duct could be only 4" thick and still allow the air to pass, of course the ends of the duct have to be capped. OR you could go to a heating or sheet metal shop and have them make you a transition for the two sizes.
Glenn

Old 09-10-2009, 05:32 AM  
flipper

I ended up cutting out both sides and putting two 14x20 filters in.

Quick Reply