DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > HVAC > Lennox A/C condensor fan motor

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2007, 03:37 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

YYEEAAAAaaa! YabaDabaDo! Way to go. The reset may have been the problem all along. It is embarassing to replace a part and find the problem somewhere else. Yes, I have done it a few times too.
Glenn

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2007, 07:40 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 122 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 288

Default The A team....

I just love it when a plan comes together.

Just My
Made in the

Old 01-30-2008, 09:48 AM  
jimtxas

I also have a lennox condensor and have noticed on occassion a rather loud buzzing/humming noise from the unit and when i go check on it i notice the fan isn't turning but it sure is buzzing. This morning and during some snowy days i've notcied the outside fins kind of frosted up. Other times the fan is turning fine. Inside everything heats and cools just fine -- so far. Is the fan always supposed to turn? If so what might be the problem? You mention a 'reset' what is this and where is it?

Thanks so much for your help.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:24 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hello JimTxas:
No, the fan doesn't have to turn all the time. When the unit frosts up the compressor pumps up a good head pressure (which creates hot gasses) and the reversing valve releases the hot gasses quickly to de-frost the outdoor unit. The loud buzzind is probably a contactor that has pitted contact points on it; it makes a loud chatter of a buzz.
Glenn

Old 01-31-2008, 04:01 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 105 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I'm not clear on what reset button was pushed but, some icing on the lines is OK. If the evaporator coils are iced, then your system is low on charge. Also, if your contactor is worn and chattering, it could cost you a new compressor. I suspect that the compressor tripped out on hi-pressure (due to not having a fan to prevent overheating) and was reset (red, rubber covered button)? Which would explain a lot and put other items of concern into focus.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:27 PM  
jimtxas

Thanks much for your response. I went ahead and took the motor and capicitor down to the AC shop today. They tested the cap and said it was good and hooked them both up to power and confirmed a dead motor. The buzz was from the motor... when it would kick on it would make about a quarter turn and just hang... i could try and turn it with my hand it would kick around a little and hang again.

Any way, took home a new motor for $90, put it all back together only to find out i had a really powerful vaccum cleaner. It sucked the box to the top! Anyway, this motor had the ability to spin either way, so i swapped the wires that control the direction and was back in business.

I suspected the frost on the coils was due to no air being sucked through them. Since it's been going again, no frost.

Im a bit disappointed that motor didn't last longer. It's only a 4 year old unit. Anything i can do to prolong its life? Should i gutter the eave on my house above it to keep run off from going in it? Does it matter?

Im curious though, for heating, why does the outside compressor and unit run? What's its advantage? Also, whats the difference btwn heat and emergency heat? Emer heat comes on when thers a 2 degree or more difference...

This site is really great -- save me over $200 today. Thanks for your help!

J

Old 01-31-2008, 06:31 PM  
guyod

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

If your roof water pours right into the unit then thats defiantily why it only lasted 4 year.

Gutters will work or if you dont want to go through all that trouble some type of roof over the unit will work too just make sure you keep it 18'' above the unit. Gutter will also protect your foundation too so that is your best option.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:51 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hello JimTxas:
The function of the heat pump is to move heat around for you comfort and convenience. In the summer it pumps the heat to the outside. When you switch to heat a reversing valve changes places with the evaporator coil and the condenser coil, so to speak. The outside fan must run either way to help with the exchange of heat. For heat use the heat pump becomes inefficient as the temperature drops; when you hit 17* it can't extract any more heat from the outside air so it goes into 'supplemental' heat mode or 'emergency' heat mode. Emergency means the compressor shuts down and the house is heated with resistant electric heat coils (there went all the efficiency).
If you should decide to build a roof over the outdoor unit, please check with the manufacturer first. Some of them say they don't want any roof and some have distance allowances. Anything that impedes the exhaust of the fan will knock the efficiency.
Glenn

Old 01-02-2009, 02:56 PM  
rseeley3

I just read the question on the Lennox whole house air conditioning fan motor not turning unless he gives it a push. You said it may be the capacitor, I do not own a AUDIBLE signal OHMmeter. I do have a regular Ohmeter could you tell me if I can chek with that and how do I go about it.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:28 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hello RSEeley:
The regular ohm meter will check the capicitor also. Disconnect the wires to the capicitor and watch the dial on the ohmmeter, when you touch the terminals on the capicitor the needle should go all the way to the right very quickly and return a little slower. This all happens in about 3 seconds so it is very improtant to be watching.
Glenn

Quick Reply