Originally Posted by EmersonHart13
I will, without reservation, say it was worth the extra 100 dollars to do it per the professionals recommendation.
I don't want to get into a debate because you did what you thought best to protect yourself and your home. I agree with that way of thinking. However, I clean up mold all the time in my rehab projects. I talked to the EPA and a couple of local professionals. I am not an expert but I had to learn more about mold to protect myself and my property. Here is what the EPA says:Biocides are substances that can destroy living organisms. The use of a chemical or biocide (chlorine bleach, for example) that kills organisms such as mold is not recommended as a routine practice during mold cleanup. There may be instances, however, when professional judgment may indicate its use (for example, when immune-compromised individuals are present). In most cases, it is not possible or desirable to sterilize an area; a background level of mold spores will remain - these spores will not grow if the moisture problem has been resolved. If you choose to use disinfectants or biocides, always ventilate the area and exhaust the air to the outdoors. Never mix chlorine bleach solution with other cleaning solutions or detergents that contain ammonia because toxic fumes could be produced. Dead mold may still cause allergic reactions in some people, so it is not enough to simply kill the mold, it must also be removed.
I've compiled a list of FAQs on mold, including What are the basic mold cleanup steps?
and What are ten things I need to know about mold?
Visit my website
and click on the tab, Mold & Mildew FAQ.