DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > HVAC > Oil Burner Transformer

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2010, 08:11 AM  
daris5150

For what it's worth, I just had preventative maintenance done on my furnace that has a Beckett Burner and the transformer was showing low voltage so it needed replaced. The cost was $169. I live in Columbus, OH. The furnace is about 6-8 years old and I have only lived here 2 years. First time I had it checked was today and the guy said the oil filter was really nasty and showed it to me. (Not that I would know what it's supposed to look like! ha). He said that may have caused the transformer to get weak.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 08:47 AM  
RobertMore

Thanks for all the posts here. Last night my Beckett burner quit and the house was getting cool. I tested the transformer as was described somewhere on the internet by pushing an insulated screwdriver across one of the terminals of the transformer and approach the other. At about a 1 inch gap beteween the screwdriver tip and the terminal the screwdriver was not touching, there should have been an arc. There was no arc, even as the screwdriver tip got closer to the terminal. This test seems ti replicate what the electrodes do. So I called my plumbing and heating supply store and got a transformer for about $70. I picked it up, got home, installed it and tested it with the screwdriver and yes, an arc was produced. I put everything back together and it fires up like a dream.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:17 AM  
paul52446m

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertMore View Post
Thanks for all the posts here. Last night my Beckett burner quit and the house was getting cool. I tested the transformer as was described somewhere on the internet by pushing an insulated screwdriver across one of the terminals of the transformer and approach the other. At about a 1 inch gap beteween the screwdriver tip and the terminal the screwdriver was not touching, there should have been an arc. There was no arc, even as the screwdriver tip got closer to the terminal. This test seems ti replicate what the electrodes do. So I called my plumbing and heating supply store and got a transformer for about $70. I picked it up, got home, installed it and tested it with the screwdriver and yes, an arc was produced. I put everything back together and it fires up like a dream.
Most people don't have a tester large enough to test 10,000 volts, so the way you tested it is how i tell people to test it. They do get week. Paul.

Quick Reply