DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > HVAC > Outside air conditioning unit "click" sound when turned on/off

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 04:42 PM  
e30vandy

Default Outside air conditioning unit "click" sound when turned on/off

Hi all. Thanks for the opportunity for asking for some help! And thanks for reading!

I have an old electric GE outdoor air conditioning unit, model TA936H, produced in March 1968, that was working recently but has since stopped working. The problem I am having is this: when I turn on the AC from the thermostat, there is one strong "click" sound that comes from the outdoor unit, then silence. It doesn't turn on or make any other sounds until I use the thermostat to turn it back off. When I do that, it clicks again. The furnace fan works.

I am comfortable working on the unit, and have in the past. (I replaced a leaking capacitor, as seen in the pictures below.) I have done some reading and it sounds like there could be a short in the system somewhere. See these pictures for help as to what I am working with:

Any help or direction is appreciated! I will actively respond in a quick way. Thank you so much!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 04:33 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 94 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Check the "line" and "load" voltage at the contactor. Sounds like it might be toasted.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:33 AM  
lloyd

Kok is right. It's likely a high voltage issue. The "click" is the contactor engaging so we know the transformer is good. Check fuses/breakers and then any breakers that supply power to any fuses.

Quick Reply