DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > HVAC > Question about Electric Wall Heaters

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-27-2013, 09:26 AM  
pinkhammer21

I have baseboard heat with individual wall controls. I can only turn some on as even at lowest setting walls get hot. Most times have no heat turned on still says over 80. Leave for night with all turned off to find them on and walls hot. Now I turn off breaker so I stop overheating.there was a breaking with a note for a thermostat femtocell,what can I do, my usage is higher than apartments around me and shouldn't be.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2013, 12:50 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

With a wristwatch and help from your PoCo you can use your electric meter as an ammeter/wattmeter and thereby check if these heaters are drawing the correct amps/watts (which are shown on the heater nameplate or you can ask the heater maker).

Old 12-27-2013, 12:59 PM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor

Liked 381 Times on 298 Posts
Likes Given: 154

The OP is just trying to get the house stabilized ... larger, more comprehensive solutions will have to wait.

MissJAE, here is a site which has a pretty comprehensive checklist for troubleshooting your unit. Go through this (find a friend to help?) and maybe you can get some heat so you can start working on a more permanent solution:

http://homerepair.about.com/od/heatingcoolingrepair/ss/elec_htr_repair.htm

Old 12-27-2013, 01:08 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

That seems to be a common tradeoff: an expensive lump sum paid up front for a permanent solution or incremental solutions that nickel and dime you.

Looking farther into the future usually results in better decisions today. You can still choose the nickel and dime solution but at least you will be aware of the upsides and downsides of that choice.

Quick Reply