DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > HVAC > Question about my furnace

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 09:22 AM  
JeremyB

Likes Given: 11

Default Question about my furnace

Hi Guys

I had my 40 year furnace replaced a month ago and its running great but have a question on it that Im sure somebody will know the answer to.

There are now 2 pipes that come out of the house 1 for the exhaust and 1 for cold air?? What exactly does the cold air one do? my old furnace didnt have that? is it something to also do with the high efficient units or safety?

Because upstairs I still feel the air being pulled thrown the cold air vent, and thats why I was wondering what that other one coming from outside did.

Thanks for any help

Jeremy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 11:06 AM  
paul52446m

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Question about my furnace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyB View Post
Hi Guys

I had my 40 year furnace replaced a month ago and its running great but have a question on it that Im sure somebody will know the answer to.

There are now 2 pipes that come out of the house 1 for the exhaust and 1 for cold air?? What exactly does the cold air one do? my old furnace didnt have that? is it something to also do with the high efficient units or safety?

Because upstairs I still feel the air being pulled thrown the cold air vent, and thats why I was wondering what that other one coming from outside did.

Thanks for any help

Jeremy
If they are both plastic pipes then one would be the stack taking burned gas out, and the other would be the burner air. Has nothing to do with the air movement in the house. In a new home they do put a fresh air that goes from the out side into the return air, but normally we don't do that in older homes.
Paul

Old 12-27-2011, 12:25 PM  
JeremyB

Likes Given: 11

Thanks Paul for clearing that up. Yeah they are both plastic. I knew the one was the burned gas exhaust. Thanks again

Quick Reply