DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > HVAC > Rain water dripping into microwave?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 06:31 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 409 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmalois View Post
I too have water leaking into my microwave(OTR). It started after we had our conventional roof replaced with metal. The first time it was pouring rain. The roofer came back and replaced the roof jack and resealed it. It was ok until a couple of month later when a very small amount of snow started to melt and again there was water in the microwave. Again they came back and caulked all around the vent. I have been in the attic and could see the water coming down the outside of the vent pipe. Most recently, when the temps were in the teens, I got a lot of water in the microwave. I had used the unit for less than 10 minutes and at least 2 cups of water poured out of the openings on the top inside of the microwave. The only thing that changed other than the type of roofing is that they extended the vent about 2' above the roof, where it was flush with the roof before. I am now wondering if this is a condensation problem rather than a leak. Nothing was melting from the outside the last time, as it was too cold. We have had this microwave for several years with no problems. Should the vent piping in the attic be insulated?
Lois, welcome to House Repair Talk, sorry to hear of your problem leak. Condensation may be the reason you are having a water issue, but if you are experiencing a great deal of water, I'd first guess improper flashing on the vent hood. Hard to tell over the internet. Post some pics of the problem areas if you can.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011, 08:15 AM  
grandmalois

Attached are the only photos I can get right now. It is too cold and snowy to try and climb on the roof. The vent pipe extends much higher than with the old roof. It was flush mounted before. I do not like the looks of this venting. Really crappy job, but that will be taken care of when the weather improves. I am getting a lot of water, so I don't think it is condensation. The vent is on the south facing side. It has a rubber boot that is glued and screwed to the roof. No more water in the past week, but it has been below freezing and not too much snow. Ialso have been avoiding using the microwave as well.

img_1784.jpg  

Old 01-14-2011, 02:02 PM  
Amber123

Default I have the same problem!

Hi, I stumbled across this forum while searching for advice on the same problem. We put a metal roof on our home 2+ years ago and every winter we go through the same frustrating problem with water leaking down the vent and dripping from the cupboards onto the counter when the snow starts to melt. Now it is coming through the microwave. This is so gross to me and I'm wondering what kind of damage may be going on that we can't see, do you know? Also, is it still safe to use the microwave?

Old 01-17-2011, 10:31 AM  
havasu
on permanent vacation
HRT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 93 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Absolutely not. Water and electricity do not mix!

Old 01-17-2011, 05:27 PM  
Roofmaster417
RFN-4A-LVN

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber123 View Post
Hi, I stumbled across this forum while searching for advice on the same problem. We put a metal roof on our home 2+ years ago and every winter we go through the same frustrating problem with water leaking down the vent and dripping from the cupboards onto the counter when the snow starts to melt. Now it is coming through the microwave. This is so gross to me and I'm wondering what kind of damage may be going on that we can't see, do you know? Also, is it still safe to use the microwave?
Lots of damage, any leak is serious.How long is your workmanship warranty?

Quick Reply