DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > HVAC > Steam Boiler Replacement

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-23-2011, 05:47 AM  
elrodalonzo

Correct. Each radiator has only one feed in. On my old boiler there is a large riser pipe coming out of the top and goes left that tees off to each radiator. Also a tee off this pipe that goes down and back to the bottom of the boiler. There is also a second large riser pipe that comes out of the side, right next to the relief valve goes up and to the right, tees off at each radiator. Also a small pipe again going down and connecting to the left side down pipe and returning to the bottom of the boiler. I assume these down pipes are the condensation return pipes. The water fill also connects to this pipe at the bottom. I guess my question is can the two large riser pipes be connected as my new boiler only has a place for one feed out. I'll send you a couple of more pics, maybe you can tell. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2011, 10:42 AM  
paul52446m

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Steam Boiler Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by elrodalonzo View Post
Correct. Each radiator has only one feed in. On my old boiler there is a large riser pipe coming out of the top and goes left that tees off to each radiator. Also a tee off this pipe that goes down and back to the bottom of the boiler. There is also a second large riser pipe that comes out of the side, right next to the relief valve goes up and to the right, tees off at each radiator. Also a small pipe again going down and connecting to the left side down pipe and returning to the bottom of the boiler. I assume these down pipes are the condensation return pipes. The water fill also connects to this pipe at the bottom. I guess my question is can the two large riser pipes be connected as my new boiler only has a place for one feed out. I'll send you a couple of more pics, maybe you can tell. Thanks.
You are right on track my man. Just keep in mind that you have a one line steam system, so the steam flows to the radiators in the top side of the pipe and the water returns flowing back to the boiler in the bottom side of the pipe. Where your gauge and pressure control are tied in to the boiler there is a 1/4" pipe that goes in a circle. Its called a sip horn, if you reuse it make sure you run a wire through it, and clean it out good, also when you install it make sure you fill it with water, that way steam will not get up into your controls. Paul

Old 11-24-2011, 03:59 PM  
elrodalonzo

Paul,
Sounds great. Thank you for your help it is greatly appreciated. Happy Thankgiving to you and your family. Lonnie.

Old 11-24-2011, 05:27 PM  
paul52446m

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Steam Boiler Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by elrodalonzo View Post
Paul,
Sounds great. Thank you for your help it is greatly appreciated. Happy Thankgiving to you and your family. Lonnie.
Glad i could help, anything else comes up, let me know. Paul

Quick Reply