DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > HVAC > Switch from boiler to forced air gas

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2007, 03:47 PM  
fartman

Default Switch from boiler to forced air gas

I am looking at a brick house built in 1929 (plaster walls) that currently has a boiler system (radiators). The house has been sitting for a couple of years and we don't think the pipes will hold up. I can get a really good deal on the house but I'm wondering what it would cost to install a forced air gas system including all ductwork. I am assuming this may be rather expensive because of the plaster walls and brick. Also the house is approximatly 2500 sq. feet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2007, 10:03 AM  
Kerrylib

Putting in the ductwork may be quite a challenge if the house wasn't made with them in mind.

I too have radiator heat in my house. If/when I need to replace the boiler, I plan to look into sub-floor radiant heat.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:48 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Hello Fartman:

I switched from a hot water heating system to a groud source heat pump which I am happy with. However, I really miss the warm floors since the hot water is not circulating any more.

Perhaps you could consider a new High-Effiency boiler and a Unico air conditioning system which can be installed in older homes without major disruptions.

Glenn

Old 09-08-2007, 06:27 PM  
fartman

what is a unico air conditioning system?

Old 09-09-2007, 11:52 AM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hey Fartman:

Try a google on Unico and, if that doesn't work, let me know. I can mail you a brochure on it. I used to sell them years ago and that is not the only brand; its just the only one I still have a brochure on.

My scanner is on the fritz, saying its not programed for scanning. If I can get that remedied I will post it for you.

Glenn

Old 09-10-2007, 09:16 AM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Here is another solution for your air conditioning, Fartman
SPACEPAC.COM
They are the original manufacturers of the hi-velocity, quiet and unobtrusive air conditioner. Look their brochure over, I think you'll be impressed.

Glenn

Old 11-02-2007, 06:02 PM  
ltcobretti

It might be really expensive because there may be no good spots to put the ducts in. I would still hope that you could have it done for $20k or less. Expect to have to tweak the vents to balance the heat or cooling to your liking. Of course without seeing the layout, I can't be sure. I had my last house switched over for about $8,500, but it was a 1300 sq ft single story, and pretty open. I also had a limited amount of vents, but in this design it did work. I will say that I was much happier with the forced air than the boiler, and I did have to put a new boiler in about 5 years earlier...You will be smart to get a few quotes before writing an offer, or write in your offer that it is contingent on getting an acceptable quote.

Help with a [URL="http://www.123furnace.com"]Furnace[/URL] or [URL="http://www.alliancegenerators.com/"]Portable Generator[/URL]

Quick Reply