DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > HVAC > Trane XE 90 pressure switch

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2011, 04:39 PM  
hvactechfw
Professional

blocked intake or exhaust..... if you remove the burner box door and then fire the furnace does it run? if so ensure the screen where the intake pipe enters the box is free and clear of any debris and ensure the intake is clear of debris as well....(the hole piping system, not just as far as you can look into the piping.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2011, 06:17 PM  
lostpilot28

Alright...here's an update. I decided to call my heating repair guy. I wasn't home, but the wife was...he apparently looked inside with a borescope camera and told my wife there was a crack in the heat exchanger and showed her a picture of the inside of my furnace. She said it looked rusty, which I'd expect to be somewhat normal.

So, he tells my wife it's a replacement heat exchanger (possibly around $400) or an entirely new furnace (possibly around $1,600). What do you guys think? Ever heard of a cracked heat exchanger causing this problem? If so, is it fixable? Welding, etc. I didn't know that gas furnaces had heat exchangers.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:53 PM  
hvactechfw
Professional

depending on the vintage of the Trane XE90 furnace you have, it is possible that it is cracked, but on anything within the last 15 years SHOULD be a serpentine style heat exchanger. I have only seen a trane serpentine style heat exchanger cracked 3 times, so it's unlikely but still possible. On all heat exchanger failures you should get a second opinion and be home for it! Most HVAC companies will do these at no charge as it is usually a lead in to a sales call, but I am leary. can you take a picture of your furnace and post it? Just so I know the vintage of yours.... or you can post a model and serial number. Trane usually had a 20yr part warranty on the heat exchanger which provide you the part and you would be responsible for the labor to put it in. $400 sounds very cheap for the labor. The American Gas Association ( the authority on furnaces and heat exchangers in America) gives you 2 options ... 1. replace the heat exchanger 2. replace the furnace. The price of $1600 sounds outrageously cheap! Cheap usually means poor installation and less life expectancy from the equipment.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:07 AM  
lostpilot28

Well, I wasn't there to hear everything that he said...so I may need to talk to him on the phone today. I think a 2nd opinion is in order. I am the 2nd owner of the home, so I think the heat exchanger has a 20 year warranty. He said I'd have to pay $100 for shipping and around $300 for labor to install the new one. Is $400 for this service expensive? I've read elsewhere that it takes between 2 and 6 hours to replace a heat exchanger. Not sure what this guy's hourly rate is, but $400 seems high.

The model number of my XE-90 is TDX100c948c2.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:43 PM  
paul52446m

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostpilot28 View Post
Well, I wasn't there to hear everything that he said...so I may need to talk to him on the phone today. I think a 2nd opinion is in order. I am the 2nd owner of the home, so I think the heat exchanger has a 20 year warranty. He said I'd have to pay $100 for shipping and around $300 for labor to install the new one. Is $400 for this service expensive? I've read elsewhere that it takes between 2 and 6 hours to replace a heat exchanger. Not sure what this guy's hourly rate is, but $400 seems high.

Does this price include schooling, overhead, insurance, plus the mans wages?
Paul

Old 10-12-2011, 05:00 PM  
hvactechfw
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostpilot28 View Post

that price is very cheap in my area.

Last edited by hvactechfw; 10-12-2011 at 05:05 PM.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:01 PM  
pookie16

I read this thread and I thought I had a similar problem. I get the three blinking lights every day and need to manually reset the furnace.
I replaced my pressure switch and I still have the problem.
If I shut the furnace off and turn it on, the furnace will light.
If I squeeze the tube to the switch and release, it will light.
If I take the tube off at the switch and put it back on, it will light. If I even hold it close enough to get some vacuum to the switch it will close and light.
The furnace is very new and there is no sign of any dirt or moisture anywhere.
I replaced the switch because it seemed to me that perhaps it was sticking and needed to be opened and then closed again in order for the contact to be made. Replacing the switch proves it is not the switch. There is plenty of vacuum to close the switch, so it is nothing between the switch and the inducer.
What else could it be?

Last edited by pookie16; 12-06-2011 at 11:35 AM.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:18 AM  
Furnaceguy59

I've been struggling with the same problem for years. 3 blinking lights, reset the furnace, replaced the pressure switch, checked for leaks, water, air, everything. Just had a repair guy in today. Everything checks out. Good man. As we were winding things down, he mentioned that a strong gust of wind, in just the right direction, could trip the pressure switch and shut down the furnace. There was no hesitation on my part in answering him. "Every time this has happened, there has been a strong wind." He said, instead of removing and replacing the hose from the front of the pressure switch, all I had to do was reset the furnace, meaning, just turn it off and on at the switch. So folks, it's not your pressure switch, it's not water, it's not your heat exchanger, no, it's not the logic board. It's simply one thing, WIND!

Old 01-25-2012, 06:00 AM  
pookie16

Then I say that is a bad design. Wind was my first thought as the first time it happened, it was indeed very windy. Since where I am from, the wind is almost always from the west. I could see that perhaps wind from an unusual direction could cause this and that is why no problem for the past 4 weeks.
I guess this means we will never be able to go on vacation again!

Old 01-25-2012, 06:58 AM  
lostpilot28

Well, no. Sorry, I don't believe that for a second...unless you put your furnace outside, or very near an opening. My furnace is as far inside my garage as it can go. Not affected by wind at all.

But, as a follow up to this thread, I'm STILL trying to get this issue resolved. My furnace has worked (albeit stubbornly) for the past 3 months (with my occasional intervention). But I'm sick of it, and so I had the repair guy out again. We tested several things and are convinced it's the heat exchanger that's cracked. Using his digital manometer, we found that the pressure differential between the front and the back is only about 1 in/H2o. It should be much higher, since the pressure switch is rated at 1.4 in/h2o.

Also, and this was interesting, water was building up inside the draft motor fan. The water tubes were clear, but when we put the pressure gauge on the water trap (where the draft motor drain plugs in) it read about .5 in/h2o positive! Basically, that pressure was preventing the water from draining out of the draft inducer. He believes the pressure should've been zero in the water trap, but since it was reading positive pressure, that was most likely from a crack in the heat exchanger.

So, he's ordering one under warranty. I'll let you guys know what happens.

BTW, a run down of what has been done so far: replaced the pressure switch and tested the old one (it was good). Checked the draft inducer inlet and exhaust - both clear. Aside from those things, what else could cause a "too low" pressure differential? The draft inducer motor is one and the heat exchanger is the other. The draft inducer seems to run great, although we couldn't verify if it was running slow. I don't think it's the draft inducer motor, though.

Quick Reply