DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > HVAC > Trane XE 90 pressure switch

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 02:07 PM  
pookie16

Bigdog1: that is sort of scary since the purpose of all of this is to assure the house is not filling up with CO. All the problems we are having to keep us safe and yours works now with the safety devices bypassed. I will have to say again, poor design.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 02:30 PM  
Wuzzat?

Liked 140 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog1 View Post
now it has been running normal for 24 hours...WITHOUT THE HOSE...
Dangerous, from CO & possibly from NG.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:08 AM  
lostpilot28

Sounds like what I went through. Basically, with the hose connected, the heater would stop working...pressure in the upper part of the heater was too high, and the pressure switch would (rightfully so) shut it down. 3 flashes of the LED.

Swapped the pressure switch, cleaned EVERYTHING inside and out. Still only worked (most of the time) with the pressure hose disconnected.

The Fix: got a new heat exchanger (under warranty I think - 10 year old XE-90). The repair guy pulled the old one out and you could see a HUGE crack on the plastic part of the heat exchanger where it mates up to the blower. The crack was probably 1/4" wide and about 10 inches long.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:16 AM  
Bigdog1

Well the repairman was stumped for a while....

We changed the pressure switch and it works fine now.

You could hear a tiny rattle in the old pressure switch...maybe something got sucked into it....and one of the hoses had a small piece of something in it.

My heat exchanger had a big crack in it and it ran for a long time like that.

I had a carbon monoxide alarm plugged in right beside the furnace. It kept going off and I unplugged it... moral of the story...always trust the alarm....but in my defense....it kept saying gas and there was no gas leak...maybe it classified carbon monoxide as a gas...leak

Old 11-01-2012, 12:13 PM  
Wuzzat?

IIRC correctly there is a min. spacing req'mt between fuel burning appliances and CO detectors.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:53 PM  
Bigdog1

I built a room that houses my gas furnace, gas water heater, washer & gas dryer.

I had the CO detector plugged in behind the dryer which is right beside the furnace.

Actually I haven't had one in use now for 10 years.

I think it's time to buy a new one and install it.

One more thing about the furnace pressure switch issues. This same 3 flashes problem happened last year and it always seems to be an issue when we have a heavy WIND event. Wind is not a friend to my furnace operation.

My heat exchange crack was found in the middle of winter. I had to wait 1 1/2 weeks for the part to come from Texas. Nice....keep all the spare furnace parts in Texas during the winter....which Texas doesn't have much of. Probably 90% of the furnaces sold in the country are in the Northeast. Keep the part down south....

And now about my "furnace room."

Insurance companies claim about 90% of house fires start from gas appliances.....so I installed a sprinkler head in the middle of this room which will cover all of these appliances with water coverage.

I got an old liquid type (has a yellow liquid in it that will start to boil and the glass will break opening the sprinkler) sprinkler head from work.

Just ran a tap off the cold water line running into my room.

I did mention my "sprinkler" system to the insurance company. It should knock off a few dollars in your premium payment and it gives you a greater chance of surviving a fire and saving the house.

This is also where I have to install my new CO detector.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:41 AM  
Wuzzat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog1 View Post
Insurance companies claim about 90% of house fires start from gas appliances
Do they mean:
Given that you have a fire there's a 90% chance it started from a gas appliance?

or

Given that you have a gas appliance there's a 90% chance that it will start a fire?

These two conditional probabilities are seldom the same.

And, see what the gas appliance makers say about the cause of house fires. The truth may be in the middle somewhere, or nowhere near what either entity says.

Last edited by Wuzzat?; 11-02-2012 at 11:43 AM.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:17 AM  
Bigdog1

Just having a gas line going into your house is probably enough of a percentage without anything hooked to it.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:06 PM  
MarkBean

It turns out that the paper clip trick did not solve the problem. The furnace ran for a bit and then had the same code. I tried it again with the same results. I banged on the intake a bit and some more bug carcases dropped down. Not a lot but enough to notice the difference. We were then without power for a week due to Sandy. The furnace has been working fine ever since we got power restored. My guess is that I have/had a partial blockage in the intake. This weekend's project is to take put my shop vac on reverse and try to blow out anything that may be in the intake. After that I'll put in on forward and clean out the carcases.

Thank you for the information.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:52 PM  
Danza

I'm in the same boat with my trane xe90. I've had the front side hose disconnected from the vacuum pressure switch (there's 2 hoses, one on each side) for over a year and its been working just fine. But before that and if I reconnect it now it will quite and give me the 3 led flashes.
My main concer is having that hose unplugged might cause dangerous gas to go into the home? Second and less of a concern is its working efficient.
Appreciate any help!

Quick Reply