DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > HVAC > Trane XR90 - Pressure Switch

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-31-2011, 08:33 PM  
hvactechfw
Professional

that is not a capacitor it is a limit switch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2011, 09:08 PM  
paul52446m

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default > Trane XR90 - Pressure Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvactechfw View Post
that is not a capacitor it is a limit switch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Glad you pointed that out, My mistake Paul

Old 10-31-2011, 11:06 PM  
gerrycurl21

Figured it out, pull limit switch from old inducer and transfer it over, and to remove the female ends from the old inducer, I had to take a small blade into the connector and lift a small tab up to pull out the female end.

Everything is up and running now. New inducer creates pressure in the burner area which runs through the hose to the pressure switch. This turns on the ignitor to glow red for a lil bit and then the gas valve being connected to the pressure switch and burner area finally open allowing gas into the burner area igniting the furnace.

Learned a ****load about furnaces in 2 days and finally got heat.

Thx for your assistance, so glad I didn't have to replace the valve. Messing around with natural gas makes me antsy and I'd probably pay 3x as much to get it install by a tech

Old 11-10-2011, 08:20 AM  
thanksagain

Hi, I'm new here and don't know how to post but Ive been reading this thread,

Someone mentioned the Open High Limit Switch on a Trane XE 90, (LED blinking 4 times) I think thats whats wrong with my unit, where is the limit switch located? There are two wires going to a sensor on the fire chamber but no reset switch, might that be it, do I replace it, just unscrew it and put a new one in? If it's not resettable.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:02 PM  
karasdad

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey Paul54426M, that's not the "start capacitor" circled, it's the run limit switch and you can just remove it from the old assembly and reuse it. the black wire plugs into the white connector along with another black wire on the harness already attached. the green just goes onto the frame for ground, the white is the power that just plugs in.

never mind, I see it's been corrected

Last edited by karasdad; 10-13-2013 at 01:24 PM.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:26 PM  
karasdad

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanksagain View Post
Hi, I'm new here and don't know how to post but Ive been reading this thread,

Someone mentioned the Open High Limit Switch on a Trane XE 90, (LED blinking 4 times) I think thats whats wrong with my unit, where is the limit switch located? There are two wires going to a sensor on the fire chamber but no reset switch, might that be it, do I replace it, just unscrew it and put a new one in? If it's not resettable.

it just unscrews from the inducer fan assy after you unplug the two wire plug. mine is part numbered B342017P02. I think you can purchase it from the distributor. looks like it senses some magnetic field passing by like a speedometer.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:35 PM  
karasdad

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks Gerrycurl21 for a great write up. I am experiencing a similar problem with my seven year old Trane XR90. my service guy just replaced the pressure sensor and it ran fine for a week and then started giving me the same three blinking light problem intermittently. I could trick it into working by pinching the tubes alternately. My service guy says the inducer fan assy might need replacing (D342094PO4) but suggested I clean out / blow out the tubes first. My inducer looks exactly like yours (all my sub systems are in different positions in the cabinet but look like yours). Did your inducer fan fail gradually or did it just die? There is a lot of mineral build up and deposits around the exhaust port and the drain area so I am wondering it that stuff builds up and corrodes the fan bearings and impedes performance causing my problems. I am told it is a byproduct of the combustion as is the water. It also seems to run very warm to hot, is this normal or foreshadowing failure? also did you have to use a high tem silicone sealer or is there a gasket? Thanks.

Quick Reply