DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > HVAC > Want wood burning baseboard heat

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 02:20 PM  
Chincoteaguer

Default Want wood burning baseboard heat

I have a forced hot air system with humidifyer but am not satisfied with system. It works as advertised and I have had no system problems since installation 11 years ago. But there are several other problems: my wife has allergies (hot air just churns up allergens); the humidifyer helps but house is still too dry; and we do not have natural gas access and must burn expensive propane. The past two months we burned $1,800.00 of propane

I hope to install supplementary baseboard heating that uses a wood burning source. I would keep the gas heater and ducking but would install baseboard in the kitchen, dining room, and living areas. I have burned wood in an older house (space heaters) and have a lot of standing hardwood on the property. Also, there are many sources for reasonably priced hard wood in the area.

Is this a project that requires more than a "shade tree fixit man's expertise"? Are contractors for this work available and should I pay to have it done? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2011, 04:06 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 109 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 64

The answers to your questions can't be answered by anyone here unless they know your skills, knowledge and abilities.
For starters, you will need a wood burner with a heat exchanger, a pump to circulate the water and plumbing lines with baseboard radiators, safety cut-outs/controls for over temp and low flow. I'm sure you can find the wood burner and heat exchanger as a package.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:13 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 844 Times on 754 Posts
Likes Given: 1460

found this site have a look
I can't set up link so just copy and paste in your search
http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f8/want-wood-burning-baseboard-heat-10615/

Old 01-06-2011, 04:15 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

sorrey try this one

Hydronic woodstoves by Jeffrey Yago, P.E., CEM Issue #105

Old 01-06-2011, 05:11 PM  
paul52446m

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chincoteaguer View Post
I have a forced hot air system with humidifyer but am not satisfied with system. It works as advertised and I have had no system problems since installation 11 years ago. But there are several other problems: my wife has allergies (hot air just churns up allergens); the humidifyer helps but house is still too dry; and we do not have natural gas access and must burn expensive propane. The past two months we burned $1,800.00 of propane

I hope to install supplementary baseboard heating that uses a wood burning source. I would keep the gas heater and ducking but would install baseboard in the kitchen, dining room, and living areas. I have burned wood in an older house (space heaters) and have a lot of standing hardwood on the property. Also, there are many sources for reasonably priced hard wood in the area.

Is this a project that requires more than a "shade tree fixit man's expertise"? Are contractors for this work available and should I pay to have it done? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.
Hi paul here. is the areas that you want to heat with this wood burner on the ground level.? Do you have a basement or a crawl hole under your home. If you get back with me i can tell you how to do it... Paul

Old 01-06-2011, 05:27 PM  
Chincoteaguer

Default Thanks for the link

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
Just finished reading the article from your link. Thanks a bunch! It is a good start. Looks like the article covered exactly what I would like to do. The only negative is that a qualified installer is recommended. I don't mind paying to have the work done but it might be hard to find someone with experience with wood burning boilers.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:07 PM  
paul52446m

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chincoteaguer View Post
Just finished reading the article from your link. Thanks a bunch! It is a good start. Looks like the article covered exactly what I would like to do. The only negative is that a qualified installer is recommended. I don't mind paying to have the work done but it might be hard to find someone with experience with wood burning boilers.
The out door wood heaters are just that. They are not a wood fired boiler.
They are not under the rules of a boiler. They are not a pressured vessel.
They are just a wood burning heater. Paul

Old 01-06-2011, 09:25 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

talk to the plumbers in your area. this is not new.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:04 AM  
Chincoteaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul52446m View Post
Hi paul here. is the areas that you want to heat with this wood burner on the ground level.? Do you have a basement or a crawl hole under your home. If you get back with me i can tell you how to do it... Paul
yes, area is on ground level. Have good clearence in crawl space. My home is on what we call a point (surrounded on three sides by water). We have about 30 feet on one side of the house before sloping to the water and about half that on the other side. Can't put the burner in the back. Wife would be unhappy to obstruct view of water. Can these burners be placed on a slope (hoping to put on the short slope - not 30ft side). I know they have to be level and I could grade and slab to accomplish this but worry that this is not safe.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:08 AM  
Chincoteaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul52446m View Post
The out door wood heaters are just that. They are not a wood fired boiler.
They are not under the rules of a boiler. They are not a pressured vessel.
They are just a wood burning heater. Paul
Thats a good piece of information. The article seemed to suggest that if you got the wood heater that the boiler came with it. Thanks for the insight.

Quick Reply