DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > HVAC > Want wood burning baseboard heat

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 01:27 PM  
paul52446m

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chincoteaguer View Post
Thats a good piece of information. The article seemed to suggest that if you got the wood heater that the boiler came with it. Thanks for the insight.
If you want to install a outdoor wood heater, and radiation in your home, you might not have to use a boiler or a header to do the job. you will have to answer the question i asked in my first post. They will tell you that you can't tie a outdoor heater to a boiler inside with out using a header, because the inside boiler is a pressurized unit. It is pressurized because you tie a feed line
from you water supply. Well its not against the law to make your boiler system a open tank system and them it is not a pressurized system.
Later paul

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2011, 06:10 AM  
Chincoteaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul52446m View Post
If you want to install a outdoor wood heater, and radiation in your home, you might not have to use a boiler or a header to do the job. you will have to answer the question i asked in my first post. They will tell you that you can't tie a outdoor heater to a boiler inside with out using a header, because the inside boiler is a pressurized unit. It is pressurized because you tie a feed line
from you water supply. Well its not against the law to make your boiler system a open tank system and them it is not a pressurized system.
Later paul
Answers to your questions are in a previous post. I had the same questions about pressurized boilers. You say that the need for pressure is the link to a feed from the water supply. I assume the non-pressurized boiler is feed through some other means??. Do you fill the system with liquid one time and then add more as needed? Also, are the thermostats and circulation pumps easy to install. I think I can do the plumbing but I'm a little leary about electrical stuff.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:50 AM  
paul52446m

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have put boilers in cabins that have no indoor plumbing. If the boiler and radiation are
on one floor, i put a 6 gal. tank by the boiler and at a height just above the boiler.
I make a lid for this tank and a 3/4 in copper pipe out of the bottom of the tank that goes to the boiler. I fill the system through this tank. i can use water and mix antifreeze
with it. I fill the system until the tank is half full. this tank is also the expansion tank.
If you start half full when the water heats up it expands into the tank.
This is why i asked you if you if the area you want to heat is on one story.
You would have to have you outdoor heater a little above the height of your radiation.
In Mi where i am at you can still install a open tank system.
I have a large boiler license and i just asked the state inspector about this..
wiring would not be a problem your out door unit would have a pump that would run all the time. You would need two 1" full flow zone valves a thermostat and relay.
When the thermostat calls for heat it would open a zone valve and close the bypass
zone valve . Later Paul

Quick Reply