DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > HVAC > When to get AC serviced

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2008, 09:36 AM  
fozzy40

Default When to get AC serviced

I just bought a 1 bedroom (~750sq ft) loft in downtown Chicago. The building is approximately 6 years old so I am assuming the HVAC unit (which is in my condo) is about that old. It currently is working but I have been noticing some humidity. It is humid in Chicago right now but I'm not sure if it's normal to feel "similar" humidity inside. I checked the filter and it appears to be clean. No funny sounds or leaking from the unit. I did have a home inspector check the condo pre-purchase and he found nothing wrong. However, I'm not sure how reliable home inspectors are when it comes to HVAC stuff.

So, I basically want to know if and how often I should have this serviced. I've been reading to get it serviced annually.

Thanks for your help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2008, 02:29 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 119 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 257

Default Anually

I always recommend someone buying a new home to get a professional in to do a service job. Only because you do not know who did what to a system. As a home inspector I can only check so many things on any home, it's because you do not own the home at the time of the inspection and we are limited.
Annually ,unless something is giving you issues.
Same for the furnace. Do it before the heating season.

Just My
Made in the

Old 06-28-2008, 11:40 AM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 104 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Have the system checked annually.
For now however, I suspect that your condensate drip tube is plugged and the drip pan is holding condensate. This condensate tends to be laden w/bacteria and has a rather moldy smell to it (a definite health concern if not addressed). This pooled up condensate is being (recycled) picked up by the air moving across the evaporator coils and back into the living quaters by the blower.
The fact that you dont' see anything leaking is actually a problem. It should be leaking, leaking condensate. Wheather this be from a weep hole in the unit or from a drip tube, you should be discharging the humidity from the air that's being cooled.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:15 AM  
Charlie

As stated by kok328, you generally want to have your unit checked once a year. I usually check mine in the spring before it gets too hot.

Old 07-05-2008, 01:05 AM  
rk_king2004

The economical operation and dependability of a system depend on proper servicing.

Quick Reply