DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > HVAC > Window air condition unit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2013, 05:55 AM  
bengseth20

Default Window air condition unit

Hey all. I new to this web sight but I aready have a problem. I just bought a new Whirlpool 12000 BTU Window A/C unit last year and it worked fine for the first year. I hooked it up this year and it ran fine for a coulple days then it just quit I have power on the cord but none to the unit . I took the electrical cover off and seen the fuse was blowed I put a new fuse in and pluged unit in heard a huming noise right away and then the fuse blew again. It has a dual run capacitor and I was wondering if this could be the problem. My warrenty is expired

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2013, 07:18 AM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 104 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 61

It might be the capacitor, you will need a volt/ohm meter capable of reading capacitance to determine the health of the cap. It might also be a locked up/stuck compressor. Sometimes you can give them a sharp hit by placing a block of wood along side of the compressor and rap it with a hammer. The trick is to not hit it too hard or too soft. Do the fans turn freely by hand when it's unplugged?

Old 05-12-2013, 10:48 AM  
bengseth20

Yes the fan will turn freely by hand. Also I unhooked the compressor once and plugged it in but it blew another fuse then too.

Quick Reply