DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > HVAC > york HVAC blower not working

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-14-2006, 07:26 PM  
beaven

Hi All,
We could not figure this out.. and had to call the york representative. He figured out the problem in 10 seconds. The problem was that there was an additional inline fuse which we were not aware of that had blown.... because the mice were chewing up the wires from the unit on the outside....
Thanks for all your prompt ideas and repllies!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2011, 02:50 PM  
Chopsaw2843

Default York HVAC Blower

Your furnas blower plugs into a control module. My blower has three speeds, refer to the schmatic on the panel cover. White wire is the neutral and a black, blue, & red wire for each speed. I took an extention cord and installed spade connectors to allow external power to the fan. This will allow the motor to be tested outside of the panel/furnas controls. This would allow you to verifty the motor will run. There is a capacitor to start the motor which also has spade connectors for easy replacement of the $20 capacitor. I have just completed a repair to my blower motor. The motor would humm when power was applied. The fan could be turned, but the motor would not come up to speed. Turns out the bearing lubrication became a glue and the motor could not spin freely. The GE motor bearings are sealed, no design for additional bearing lube/grease. Since a replacement motor was $200 and was not a direct replacement, I disassembed the motor. I found the bearings are just sleeve bearings. The lubrication had been lost due to being 13 years old and the oil was stored in a fabric/cotton material. I packed the area with grease. But a synthetic motor oil could have been dripped into the fabric to restore lubrication. You can test the fan circuit at the furnas motor spade connectors. Remember, white/neutral is the return for power for all three speeds. So power/voltage can be checked at the spade connectors for each speed. Yorke & Lenox have exclusive rights to the General Electric motor. You may not be able to purchase a exact replacement if you are not an approved contractor. I called six supply houses and checked the internet with no one having a replacement motor available.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply