DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > 110 vs. 220?




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 03:01 PM  
269afemur
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Grand Rapids, Mi
Posts: 10
Default 110 vs. 220?

I am looking to put in a wall air conditioner unit this summer. I really need to keep the utility bills to a min. It seems like the better units are 220 volt, but will this be more expensive to run? I was wondering if someone could help me figure out which unit will be better in the long run. Also I am only considering energy star rated units, and only plan to be in this house for a couple of more years.
Thanks



__________________
269afemur is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2011, 05:47 PM  
Blue Jay
Senior Member
 
Blue Jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: La Rue, Ohio
Posts: 250
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

Your power meter will show the same kilowatts used with 120 or 240V. If you have a circuit that will carry the load where you want to put the AC unit I would go with the 120 model and save the cost of wiring for 240 since you only plan to be here for a short time.



__________________
Blue Jay is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2011, 07:17 PM  
paul52446m
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Houghton Lake, Mi.
Posts: 435
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 269afemur View Post
I am looking to put in a wall air conditioner unit this summer. I really need to keep the utility bills to a min. It seems like the better units are 220 volt, but will this be more expensive to run? I was wondering if someone could help me figure out which unit will be better in the long run. Also I am only considering energy star rated units, and only plan to be in this house for a couple of more years.
Thanks
Usually the smaller units are 110 volts a and the larger ones are 220 volts.
When the units get large enough to use more than 15 amps, then the jump
to 220volts. If you need a 18,000 BTU unit which is 1.5 ton of cooling, then you would be looking at a 220 unit. The higher the seer rating the cheaper it is to run. Paul
__________________
paul52446m is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2011, 09:25 PM  
JoeD
Contractor
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Welland, Ontario
Posts: 936
Liked 91 Times on 76 Posts

Default

The voltage does not affect the power you use. The rating of the unit determines how much it costs to run. The higher voltage only allows a smaller gauge cable to be installed to run the unit.
Obviously if you need to install a new circuit that is going to add to the initial start up costs.

__________________
JoeD is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2011, 07:48 AM  
269afemur
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Grand Rapids, Mi
Posts: 10
Default Thanks for the replies.

I guess I should have given a little more information in my first post.
We bought the home with an old wall unit in the livingroom. It is very expensive to run, my best guess is it is from the eighties, or early nineties.
It is a 18,000 btu unit that needs 220v, so the wiring is already there.
I also have 110v available close by.

The house is only about 750 sq. feet. I have been looking for a unit that will at least do 600-700 sq feet, but have noticed that most of the bigger units require 220v. I can probably find a 12,000 btu unit that uses 110v that could handle the space but I am afraid that it will be running too much to keep up on really hot days since 12,000 btu is rated for a space about 500sq ft.

The 220v would seem like it would be using too much energy even though it is energy star rated. And a 110v unit wouldn't seem big enough to handle the job. I really would hate to buy a unit and then not be able to afford to run it.
Thanks

__________________
269afemur is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2011, 07:51 AM  
269afemur
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Grand Rapids, Mi
Posts: 10
Default Seer rating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul52446m View Post
Usually the smaller units are 110 volts a and the larger ones are 220 volts.
When the units get large enough to use more than 15 amps, then the jump
to 220volts. If you need a 18,000 BTU unit which is 1.5 ton of cooling, then you would be looking at a 220 unit. The higher the seer rating the cheaper it is to run. Paul
Paul, whats a seer rating? The unit I am looking at has an energy star rating of 10.7 which is pretty good compared to most other units I have seen which are usually 9.4. But I haven't seen anything about a seer rating listed.
__________________
269afemur is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2011, 09:39 AM  
paul52446m
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Houghton Lake, Mi.
Posts: 435
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 269afemur View Post
Paul, whats a seer rating? The unit I am looking at has an energy star rating of 10.7 which is pretty good compared to most other units I have seen which are usually 9.4. But I haven't seen anything about a seer rating listed.
That is the seer rating. Most central air now days starts out at 13 seer. I did not know what window and wall units were running. All i see is central unit.
Paul
__________________
paul52446m is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2011, 09:40 AM  
paul52446m
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Houghton Lake, Mi.
Posts: 435
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 269afemur View Post
Paul, whats a seer rating? The unit I am looking at has an energy star rating of 10.7 which is pretty good compared to most other units I have seen which are usually 9.4. But I haven't seen anything about a seer rating listed.
That is the seer rating. Most central air now days starts out at 13 seer. I did not know what window and wall units were running. All i sell is central unit.
Paul


__________________
paul52446m is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On