DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Is #14 wire sufficient for my project

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 04:33 PM  
speedy petey
Lic.Electrical Contractor

Liked 39 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGMcCallie View Post
I call all elec cable romex, I guess from the old school. What I am using is 12/3 which is yellow in color and it will be inside water tight conduit with water proof fittings. It is type NM-B. I know it says indoor wire but I am putting it in the water tight conduit with water tight fittings like they use to hook up air conditioner units outside.
It is absolutely NOT right, not to put in sealtite for an A/C and especially not for pool equipment. You should be using individual THHN/THWN conductors, along with a green insulated ground wire.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2012, 05:00 PM  
TGMcCallie

Is THHN?THWN conductors individual single wires without the outter jacket that the romex has?
If so I can certinally do that. The pool man wired my light with individual wires and I always wondered why?

Tom

Old 08-05-2012, 08:44 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 109 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 64

You will attached the Red & Blacks to a 20Amp breaker.
You will attached the White to the neutral bar in the breaker panel.
You will attached the Green to the ground bar in the breaker panel.
The ground bar & the neutral bar will be separate bars being that this is inside a sub-panel.
You will run all wires through sealtight with water tight fittings.
You will use 3/4" sealtight to be able to enclose all circuits.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:07 PM  
TGMcCallie

My new GE sub panel Model TL412R1P DOES NOT have a seperate grounding bar or strip for the green equipment ground wire. It only has
one single neutral ground bar.

It does have a ground rod strip that you can attach to the neutral grounding bar in order to ground the equipment.

I will have to attach both the bare ground wire and the Green wire from the main breaker to this single neutral bar. I will also have to attach the bare ground wire and white neutral wire here as well for all the load wires that go to my motor/cleaner/light via. the timer. In other words I can not seperate the equipment ground wires and the neutral wires.........

I am planning on running all load wires in 3/4 or maybe 1 inch sealtite flexible conduit, with water tight fittings, from the sub panel to the timer box. From the timer box I will use 1/2 inch same type conduit for the wires
to the 3 loads.

Is this going to be according to NEC code? Just need to make sure that I can use this PVC watertight conduit with watertight fittings like Lowe's sells to hook up Pool Motor, Pool cleaner motor, and pool light.

Tom

Old 08-05-2012, 09:25 PM  
TGMcCallie

Here is a wiring diagram for my project. If you see anything that I need to change in order to be safe, please let me know.

Tom

Old 08-05-2012, 09:28 PM  
TGMcCallie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGMcCallie View Post
Here is a wiring diagram for my project. If you see anything that I need to change in order to be safe, please let me know.

Tom
Well guess I don't know how to post a file document so that did not work.
Tom

Old 08-06-2012, 07:33 AM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 109 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 64

You have a serious problem with not being able to attach to a ground source separate from the neutral.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:16 AM  
speedy petey
Lic.Electrical Contractor

Liked 39 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kok328 View Post
You have a serious problem with not being able to attach to a ground source separate from the neutral.
And that's only the start.
I am bowing out of this one as I want no part of helping someone completely unqualified wiring pool equipment.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:37 AM  
TGMcCallie

This has been this way since the pool company installed the equipment. Each Motor and light is bonded to a seperatge ground rod that is #8 copper and driven in the ground near the pump slab and has been that way for over 30 years. The ladders and all metal parts of the pool plus rebarb are all bonded to this ground rod as well.

I just wanted to know if I need to buy a equipment ground strip and install it in the sub panel and use # 8 wire to ground this strip to the ground rod that is already driven into the ground where everything else is grounded like it was originally.

My house is approx 50 years old and all the neutrals and bare wires are all together on the neutral ground bar. Years ago they did not seperate these.

Last edited by TGMcCallie; 08-06-2012 at 10:49 AM.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:37 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 123 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 301

Default Smart

Yup, been that way for years is never a good sign.
You have Bonding and grounding going on which are 2 separate things, and not to mention a nuetral with a ground.
Pools are a touchy subject, and ONLY a professional should be looking at your issues. Please hire someone to come out and look,
From my chair (and everyone elses) this is something that needs to be handled by a licensed electrician. Your saftey, How much is it worth?

I have been at this a long time, and seen many, many things that work,that should have killed someone.

Just My
Made in the

Quick Reply