DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Is #14 wire sufficient for my project

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 04:05 PM  
TGMcCallie

I bought a GE equipment grounding strip # TLG1P and installed it in my sub panel. I will put all Green insulated wires as well as all bare wires (which I will not have) onto this strip. I will put all white neutrals on the neutral grounding bar strip on the other side of the box. This swill properly ground my pool pump, cleaner pump and pool lights even though they are already equipment grounded via the ground rod that is driven into the ground next to the pump equipment pad.

I checked all this with a certified electrician at the electrical supply store where Dolly and Dean Parton got married (Ringgold, GA) and he said that the way I am doing it 100% safe and acceptable with NEC code.

I am in the process of having all my neutrals and equipment ground wires seperated in my main breaker box as well.

Thanks for all the coments given in this post and they were well taken.

Also I am using THHN/THWN dual single wires #12 for all the wiring. Even though Home Depot and Lowe's did not know about the dual purpose, the wires are marked with both types so they are dual thhn / thwn complient. I showed this to both the big box stores and they were thankful for the information. Now even me and both Home Depot and Lowes learned something.

Will be using the GFIC 20 amp breaker that I was using originally with it installed in the main breaker panel that serves the pool.

I will be installing the wires in 1/2 inch liquidtight conduit with liquid tight connectors. I asked the electric supply company employee about this and he said it was just fine and also up to code. The runs from the timer to the motors are only 5 feet long....

Tom

Tom

Last edited by TGMcCallie; 08-06-2012 at 04:10 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2012, 04:44 PM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor

Liked 394 Times on 307 Posts
Likes Given: 161

TGMc, I really like your diligence and attention to detail. Do not let tecnical issues stop you from learning and getting it "right."

Glad you went #12 and 20A . . . all good decisions. Same with the obvious - liquidtight fittings. Remember to use a flexible whip where needed, particularly within two feet of the motor.

Have fun in the water!

Old 08-06-2012, 05:41 PM  
speedy petey
Lic.Electrical Contractor

Liked 39 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGMcCallie View Post
This swill properly ground my pool pump, cleaner pump and pool lights even though they are already equipment grounded via the ground rod that is driven into the ground next to the pump equipment pad.
You do realize the rods and bonding wires are NOT "grounding" ANYTHING in so far as an equipment ground?
Bonding and ground rods have NOTHING to do with equipment grounding. They are NOT the same thing.

Quote:
I am in the process of having all my neutrals and equipment ground wires seperated in my main breaker box as well.
On separate bars? WHY???

Old 08-06-2012, 05:50 PM  
TGMcCallie

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy petey View Post
You do realize the rods and bonding wires are NOT "grounding" ANYTHING in so far as an equipment ground?
Bonding and ground rods have NOTHING to do with equipment grounding. They are NOT the same thing.

On separate bars? WHY???
Which panel box are you referring to? The main beaker box or the sub panel?
Tom

I thought NEC code was changed and they had to be seperated....

Old 08-06-2012, 08:04 PM  
speedy petey
Lic.Electrical Contractor

Liked 39 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Which panel box are you referring to? The main beaker box or the sub panel?
Tom

I thought NEC code was changed and they had to be seperated....
The box I quoted you as saying:
Quote:
.....in my main breaker box as well.

Quick Reply