DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > 2 hot wires coming into receptacle

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-29-2010, 11:35 AM  
Alonzo

Default 2 hot wires coming into receptacle

I had a question and I was hoping you guys can help. I am installing a new ceiling fan. There is a receptacle directly below where I want to install the switch for the fan. I was going to pigtail into the receptacle. When I removed the receptacle, there were 2 wires coming in both 12-2. After seperating them to find out which was the hot wire coming in, I discovered both black wires coming into the box were hot. Can I still pigtail into one of these. If so how? The house was built in '97.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2010, 01:07 PM  
JoeD

Liked 77 Times on 65 Posts

How did you determine there were two hots. If you used a digital meter one of them was probably a phantom voltage.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:09 PM  
Alonzo

Hey JoeD, Thanks for the quick reply.
I used a simple neon circuit tester. It marks 110V, 220V 227V. I touched one end to the ground wire and the other end to the black. Both Black wires marked 110V. I tried this on another receptacle and only got one hot coming in. Could this simple tester give me wrong reading? How could I find out which is the correct wire? Is there another tester that is more acurate?

Old 10-29-2010, 03:17 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 71 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 50

The only thing I can think of is that one hot was powering the top or bottom of the duplex receptical (with the bridge tab removed) and the other hot was powering the opposite (bottom or top) of the same receptical (odd setup up but, I've seen stranger things).

Old 10-29-2010, 05:55 PM  
paul52446m

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i have seen this happen if they wanted the top hot all the time and the bottom is coming from a switch, so you can plug in a lamp and run it from a switch. paul

Last edited by paul52446m; 10-29-2010 at 05:59 PM.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:53 PM  
serpentine5

Question, you did remove the wires from the receptacle before testing for voltage right?
What Kok328 said about the bridge tab, did you understand that? On a new outlet, you have two screws on each side, two are silver and two are darker colored, and then you have a single one that is usually green. on the sides you have the sets of screws and in between the screws you have a metal tab called a bridge, i bridges a connection from one screw to the other on each set of screws. That way if you only have one wire coming in, you attach the black to one of the darker screws, the white to one of the silver screws, and the ground to the green. as long as the bridges are in place it doesnt matter what screw you attach to in the sets as long as you put a black on the barker set and the white to the silver set of screws. The outlets are separate of the other, and the bridge connects them so a single wire can power the two outlets.
What Paul said about the receptacle having a constant on and a switched plug all on the same receptacle is the most common reason you will have two hots in the same receptacle box.
Attached is a pic of a normal duplex outlet with the bridges intact. You would grab the tab with side cutters and break it out of place to separate the two plugs.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:31 AM  
budro

you guys probably got it right, but i have seen folks not familar with digital testers accidently push the "hold" button on their meters and get 120v on everything. i've had a few laughs with them when they call me and they believe every wire in their house is hot. that plug would pop a breaker if there were two hots coming in and the tab not broke. some yahoo might have wired it wrong too. if it was on the same circuit it would still work with the tab intact. he can find out by killing one circuit and seeing if it shut off the other hot wire. a tangled web we weave. i guess i'm way old school cause i never heard of a "neon" tester. is that one that just lights up with no numbers? thanks, budro

Old 10-30-2010, 09:44 AM  
JoeD

Liked 77 Times on 65 Posts

The plug would not pop the breaker if both hots were on the same side of the service.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:49 AM  
Alonzo

I did remove the wires from the receptacle first and tested all the wires. I tried attaching a pic of the tester that I used, hopefully I did it correctly. Also, there already is a receptacle on the other side of the room that has a constant on lower plug with the top plug controled by a switch. The bridge on this one has been removed. The one I am working on still has the bridge intact and all of the switches nearby control something else.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:02 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 71 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonzo View Post
I had a question and I was hoping you guys can help. I am installing a new ceiling fan. There is a receptacle directly below where I want to install the switch for the fan. I was going to pigtail into the receptacle. When I removed the receptacle, there were 2 wires coming in both 12-2. After seperating them to find out which was the hot wire coming in, I discovered both black wires coming into the box were hot. Can I still pigtail into one of these. If so how? The house was built in '97.
Well if that's the case, use one hot to power the outlet and the other hot to power the ceiling fan.

Quick Reply