DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > 220 wiring...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-2008, 10:12 PM  
triple D

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default what is wire size and alloy fellas?

I dont know if you have completed your job yet, but it is important to know all info. about what you are dealing with before beginning. Is the wire copper or aluminum? If it is aluminum you must use a split bolt splice on each wire, pref. with deox or suitable corrosion inhibitor. If so you will notice these are bare connectors, they need to be wrapped in rubber splice tape after being tightened, very firmly. If it is copper wire nuts will suffice, big blues for #6 or #8 ga. wire, and red for 10 ga. Like noted by previous responders note if there is 4 wires in cable red,blk.,wht.,bare. If not, a sufficient ground can be achieved from a plumbing pipe if house is plumbed in copper. This would happen with a bond clamp and some #10 bare copper to the j-box location and romex 10-3 w/grnd from j-box to new dryer location. I am a brand new member tonight hope I have been a help to you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2008, 04:33 AM  
speedy petey
Lic.Electrical Contractor

Liked 39 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple D View Post
If not, a sufficient ground can be achieved from a plumbing pipe if house is plumbed in copper. This would happen with a bond clamp and some #10 bare copper to the j-box location and romex 10-3 w/grnd from j-box to new dryer location.
WHOA! ABSOLUTELY NOT.
You CANNOT simply take a "ground" from a water pipe.
This is incorrect and can be very dangerous.
Except under some very specific circumstances a ground must be taken from the panel. Which in many cases it's just as easy to run a new circuit.

The house is from the 90's. It is highly likely that the cable is 10/3NM w/ground.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:41 AM  
watts

The cable is 10/3 copper, i'm positive it's copper, not positive on the gauge. Although i do know it's on a double pole 30amp breaker. This addition was just put in about 10 years ago. Ground is intact, coming from the panel. So, i'l just get some big wire nuts, and extend my wire over to the new location. Taping all connections to be sure, and enclosing them in a box. I haven't gotten to it yet, hopefully i'll get to it this weekend. Wire is freakin expensive right now, so i'm gonna pull out some unused wire that was gonna be used elsewhere in the house by the previous owner. It's the same wire, he was just gonna wire up another 220 somewhere for whatever reason. I'm not, so i'm gonna use that wire to make my extension.

I really appreciate all the help i've gotten here. This site is awesome for the DIY'er. This certainly won't be my last post asking for help. i've got a ton of these little projects to complete. Half of which i dont' know exactly how to do.

Last edited by watts; 01-30-2008 at 07:45 AM.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:32 PM  
triple D

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default whoa what?

I didnt have any intention of misleading anyone or fabricating dangerous info! I'm glad you have a 10-3 w/grnd. you are all set good luck... just an f.y.i. n.e.c. 250.130 C-1 says you would be o.k., if conditions of the exceptions to 250.52 A-1 existed. wich means if house was copper and properly bonded to panel, and your in the crawl space with continuous water pipe,from where it enters into house. Have a good one fellas...

Old 02-01-2008, 10:52 AM  
speedy petey
Lic.Electrical Contractor

Liked 39 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple D View Post
just an f.y.i. n.e.c. 250.130 C-1 says you would be o.k., if conditions of the exceptions to 250.52 A-1 existed. wich means if house was copper and properly bonded to panel, and your in the crawl space with continuous water pipe,from where it enters into house.
True. Within the first FIVE FEET. This is what I meant when I said "Except under some very specific circumstances".
Taking an equipment ground from any other point on the water piping system could be potentially very dangerous.

You said: ".., a sufficient ground can be achieved from a plumbing pipe if house is plumbed in copper."
I just wanted to make sure nobody took that as a blanket statement of fact.

Thanks for the fyi. I am pretty clear on these code sections.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:43 PM  
watts

just so you guys know, i finally go around to doing this DIY and it worked perfect! So thanks. I just bought new 8ga 3 wire, which was a bit pricey, spliced, ran and connected new receptical. works great! hardest part was twisting that big a** wire together and drilling the hole to the crawl. the old receptical sat right on top of a triple beam.....had to angle it and buy a long bore bit...but it worked...thanks again!

Quick Reply