DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > 3-way switch not turning off light

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2009, 06:38 PM  
cheesefood
Ask me bout homebrewtalk.

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to cheesefood
Default 3-way switch not turning off light

I have a duplex switch (that I just replaced) with a 3-way on one side and a single on the other. For some reason, since the replacement the 3 way isn't turning off. Is it more likely that the Commun (hot) is on the wrong side?

Looking for a good answer before I keep trying new wiring patterns.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2009, 08:12 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 104 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I'm not sure what you did based on your post but, a 3-way switch only work in conjunction with another 3-way switch on the same circuit.
If this was already a 3-way and it's not working after replacement, you either have a bad switch (test it with a volt/ohm meter) or you miswired the switch. If you think you miswired, pull the opposing switch and this will tell you which wire is your traveler wire(common hot).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply